1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Hondo 1980s MIK - any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tom0Blam0, Apr 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tom0Blam0

Tom0Blam0 Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2014
    Hi all,

I am getting more in more interested in vintage (ish) basses made in in japan. While looking for a jazz bass by Hondo. It is a Korean made bass and I am having trouble finding info on these basses. Does anyone know - are these good players? The bass (Hondo Bass Guitar VINTAGE 1980s Korea 1980s Black) is in need of TLC, so i won't get it unless I can get good price, but I really like restoring basses, and for whatever reason I love j-basses with non-traditional pickups, so this is really appealing (gonna need to do something about that acne though...). Anyway, any thoughts or info would be much appreciated.

2. I would move on from that one for sure. It probably sold for less when it was new. Considering the neck issues stated, unless you can see it in person first, why bother ?

3. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    I like the Hondo 2 models with the brass bridge saddles as seen in the Epiphones of the same era. I think these were from a later period, possibly late eighties' on.

4. Tom0Blam0

Tom0Blam0 Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2014
    I'm gonna pass. Sounds like the neck is messed up - I dont see a situation where he'll sell it cheap enough for me to be willing to take a gamble on it. Thanks for the info.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021