1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

hondo 830 pbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slaphappychappy, Jan 16, 2012.

1. slaphappychappy

slaphappychappy

May 25, 2011
    Yay or nay? Are they any good.

2. slaphappychappy

slaphappychappy

May 25, 2011
    I'm looking at a 1980s model p bass style.

3. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    I've got a friend who has one. Heavy, but nice neck and sounds just like a Fender. Tuners are poorly cast but work fine. Bridge is good - big brass saddles.

4. slaphappychappy

slaphappychappy

May 25, 2011
    Yeah, Tuners are easily replaced. As long as the pups are good I guess.

5. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I had a few back when I was starting out in the early '80's, and they were a good option for me; The looked and sounded enough like like a Fender that I used them until I could find/afford the real thing. About ten years back, I kept seeing them pop up on ebay, so I bought two. Both had badly warped necks, so I got rid of them and didn't buy any more. Frankly, I'd go with a Squier instead, unless you can play the Hondo and verify the neck's fine.

6. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Dec 25, 2011
    Hondos were trash when they were new. So now they're "vintage" trash.

Most guys who were serious & went for the Japanese copies back in the 80's bought the 70's Ibanez "lawsuits."

Nowadays, you'd be WAY smarter to go with a Squire.

7. I disagree on the *trash* comment- I borrowed one or two in the early 80s & recall them being as good as Ibanez. Later ones certainly seemed iffy & were apparently going for name recognition over any kind of quality.

As always, pics would probably help. :)

8. A Hondo P bass copy was my first bass... I bought it used in '82. It was a good solid bass and never failed me. It wasn't cream of the crop for sure but it did the job... wish I still had it. But in this day and age when you can get so many decent and comparable basses for under $100 used, I'd look elsewhere if the price for the Hondo isn't right.

9. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Dec 25, 2011
    Maybe their basses were passable (never played one) but "trash" is the kindest word I can think of to describe their guitars (LP copies with single-coil pups under HB covers, garbage pots, absolute sh_t fretwork, incorrect pickup spacing, etc). Never saw those issues on an Ibanez (and I owned & played many).

Maybe the basses were a different animal, but every now & then, even a blind pig finds an ear of corn.

Still say "vintage trash" is a fair & charitable assessment.

10. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I remember laughing at the guitarist for Loverboy when not only did he endorse for Hondo, but he also had his signature guitar through Hondo. His was proably good, but the mass produced one was crap. Even the old Series A was better, and they were junk to.

EDIT: I also saw one of their P bass clones here in a music shop for $160.00 with a broken pickguard and the ugliest vintage sunburst that you would ever want to see. The Marlin I bought for $60 is twice the bass, at least it has a nice p bass styled neck

11. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Hondo was formed in 1969 when IMC joined forces with Samick to bring modern manufacturing techniques to asian import instruments*
    paraphrased from Wikipedia.
    My recollection of these guitars was they were a decent yet lackluster entry level line of clones that were inexpensive and widely available.
    I played in lots of bands around 1982. Those of us from the "right" side of the tracks wrangled Aria Pro II and Ibanez. The poor kids across town owned Hondos. Some of those kids really shredded- they had motivation to get really good so they didnt have to service furnaces at 3am on Christmas morning like their old man did.