Hondo Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IndieBoy_503, Jul 4, 2001.

1. On ebay you can get a hondo bass and a 16" tall practice amp I'm RCM or RMC somthing like that for under 200 bucks. For a begginer but serious bassists is this a good choice? if not what is? somthing 500 or under.
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hi indie_boy

welcome to talkbass. :D you will get more replies to your query if it is posted in the bass guitar (BG) side of the board, as opposed to the double bass (DB) side.

i'll move it there for you. :)
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if i was in your shoes-

i'd head over to samash.com and pick up one of those dearmonds they have on special, or a fender jazz

and then buy a used 15" combo amp.

4. Thanks for the great site recommendation warwick! I actually thinking of an Ibanez, either a EDB600 or a EDA900 even though its a little pricey for a beginner. If anybody body has any comments good/bad on these two bases I might appreciate it.

P.S. Warwick, your funky funk band is pretty funky(I like it) :)
  5. if I were you I'd look at www.basspalace.com and find something used there you like I bought a spector ns20000Q4 there a few months ago and it is great.
  6. oh ya I would advise not to buy the hondo you want something with a good resale price and they don't have it. if you spend more now you will help yourself out later
  7. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Hondo?!?! I never thought I'd see that name on TB again! I have a Hondo P-Bass copy that I promptly sanded the decal off of and converted to fretless. It is definitely a cheesy-a$$ed classic! Killer neck though, as I'm into the 'baseball bat' thing in a big way. You'd be hard pressed to get your money back out of one, but I love that slummin' vibe and the '1000 ply' body. Weighs a ton though!

8. My first bass was a Hondo Precision copy. I still have it. It weighs a ton. I remember walking into the music store in London at the time. I had around 130 pounds on me and I said to the salesman, "I need a bass and an amp and I'll take what I can for the money that I have." Surprisingly, the Hondo actually duplicates the Fender feel quite well.

Anyway, if you're starting out on your first bass, why not get a Squire? They would be better than a Hondo. They are made in Korea and they are related to Fender, although I'm not sure if they're part of the same company. I've seen some "value packs" at guitar center where they offer a Squire bass, small amp, and a cord for a very low price.
  9. The Navigator

The Navigator

May 17, 2001
    Tucson, AZ

I did the exact same thing! My first bass ever was a Hondo p-copy. I've owned over 30 basses over the years, but I still have this one.
  10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Under $500? Go used by all means if you can try before you buy or at least return it for a full refund.

If new, an MTD Kingston all the way. It received a "Best Buy" award in the Feb. Bass Player magazine. They're usually a little over $400 new.

What the hell is "hondo" in Spanish anyway? An idiom or slang for "cheap"?