1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hondo Deluxe 830 P bass copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the embezzler, Jul 11, 2012.

1. the embezzler

the embezzler

Jul 11, 2012
    Hi guys,
    I just picked up an early 80's? Hondo P bass copy in a super cool Lake Placid Blue with matching headstock and OHSC. It looks to have sat in it's case for the better part of 20 years as the frets and big brass bridge saddles are very oxidised. The neck is super beefy and looks to be 1 piece maple - the profile reminds me of my friends 78 P bass. Truss rod needs a tweak. The body is a medium weight and I think it might be some kind of japanese sen ash judging by the grain that is showing throw. The pickups are working but the output is not super strong and both controls seem to be acting as volume knobs?
    I read that these originally shipped with Dimarzio pickups? Can anyone confirm? The string ferrules (bridge is string thru body) are a bit crooked but I know there's nothing I can do about that :rollno:
    Any advice for restoring the bridge and frets and also on troubleshooting the electronics?
    I am primarily a guitarist and I picked this up so I could have a cheap beater bass for school and also teaching on. Plus, I love funky old Japanese instruments!
    Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. the embezzler

the embezzler

Jul 11, 2012
    Shot of the grain -

Attached Files:

3. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Replace the pickups with Seymour Duncan SPB-3's.
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/bass/pbass/passive/spb3_quarterpou/
    Replace the bridge with a Kahler fixed or trem type. The Kahler allows you to adjust height, intonation, AND side-to-side location.

I've got a FAME/Hondo bass very similar that came with the Kahler trem and was upgraded by a previous owner to the above pickups. It is my main bass now.
    Red.

I'd wipe the neck with 0000 steel wool and polish the frets. The bridge can be made to look like new(usually) using Brasso or Happich Semichrome polish AND taking your time. The electronics can be replaced with original specs pots and caps OR get Seymour Duncan, Allparts, etc. to supply a replacement wiring harness.