1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Hondo II Basses - Specs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Echase409, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Echase409

Echase409

Jul 25, 2017
    So I'm in the market for a cheap P-Bass. Obviously there are a lot of options to choose from, but Hondo II's really caught my eye because of their price point. It looks like I can get outta the door for about $200. I've heard generally positive reviews about them, but can't find any specs about them online. By specs I mean:
    -Nut Width
    -Body wood*** (most important to me)
    -Neck style (thin like a Jazz or thick like a true P)

I am most definitely gonna change the pups and bridge, and will probably eventually change the neck too. So that's why I'm most interested in the type of wood they use for the body.

Any help and/or feedback would be greatly appreciated! Also feel free to comment any other recommendations for cheap P's out there.

Thanks!

2. Hondo II started out in Korea then moved to Japan for the Professional series early 80's. If it's Japan it may well have a Dimarzio pickup, a Hondo II Professional will have a high mass brass bridge. There's 2 reasons not to be swapping pickup and bridge right off the bat :D

70's Korean probably will have a ply body,without photos or a model name it's hard to tell the neck specs but I'd say if it's a P-bass copy expect P-bass neck specs.

3. Echase409

Echase409

Jul 25, 2017
    Thanks for the response! Here are the basses I have in mind. There are no serial numbers on the headstocks so I can't really do any research. Maybe the shape of the headstocks themselves hold some information. I know just from searching around the web that some Hondo P's have different headstocks. Maybe that points to their origin? IMG_0576.jpg IMG_0577.jpg IMG_0578.jpg

4. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Two things to bear in mind when it comes to Hondos from this era:

1) The necks tend to be chunky

2) The bodies tend to be heavy

The ones that I've played back then - '82/83 or thereabouts - had a very different bridge design from what I see on the first one shown here and a different logo as well which would make me believe that it's newer than the ones that I remember.

They were not much to write about back then, but were decent, serviceable instruments. A far cry from Aria/Ibanez/Cimar offerings from the late 70s IMO.

My experiences only, and all of them are related to the instruments that they were selling in Europe at the time. Their U.S. palette could've very well been vastly different, I wouldn't know.

5. Echase409

Echase409

Jul 25, 2017
    Ah okay, I don't think I'll be a fan of the bodies if they're too heavy. I also don't know how I feel about ply bodies. I guess I'll pass on these and go for a MIM Fender or something of the sort. Thanks for all the info!

Bugeyed Earl and kodiakblair like this.
  6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    There may be some out there, but I have never played a Hondo that I felt was worth $200. YMMV

7. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    1980 Hondo II Professional, made in Japan:

1- Pbass style.
    2- Body is basswood. I don't believe is finished in lacquer but probably some PU.
    3- Neck is hard maple, finished in lacquer.
    4- Nut width is standard pbass.
    5- Neck profile is a standard pbass back in those days
    6- Neck heel and pocket dimensions are pbass, but the 4-bolt pattern is slightly off. Thus, so is the neck plate.
    7- Pickups are Dimarzios. You can get better Dimarzios, but you can do much worse with asian pickups.
    8- Pickguard dimensions are slightly off from a pbass, including the screw locations. Thus, it's not interchangeable.
    9- Bridge is standard pbass 5-hole.

Overall, it's a good bass; much better than the korean line at the time. Just as good, for the most part, compared to what Fender was putting out at the time. Made by Tokai.

I would recommend not going any lower than a MIJ Hondo, or a Tokai Hard Puncher which basically seems to be the same bass to me.

Otherwise, get a Fender MIM for cheap. It will be better than the Hondo pics you posted.

Hondo usually put serial numbers on the neck plate.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    LowNloud1 likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021