Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Honest Opinions of the iAMP800"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    post your "Honest Opinions of the iAMP800". :bag:

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

How many threads are we going to have on this? How about deleting the other (biased)one then - just go to your first post and choose edit, them tick delete and delete now!! Easy!!

3. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Doesn't the other thread address reliability whereas this one is on overall opinions? Let it run!!:bassist:

4. Bruce Lindfield

Well I was saying this one was reasonable ( :meh: ) but that the other one on defects should be deleted - there's no point in having both!

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Brian: There's no pleasing some people.
    Beggar: That's what Jesus said.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Well - why not delete the other thread, it is very easy to do - will take you a few seconds?

What is the point of having the two threads now?

7. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Wouldn't be easier just to let the people that want to comment on the subject post?

8. Bruce Lindfield

Well exactly - they can comment freely, here now - why do we need that other biased poll?

9. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Bruce !What makes it bias ?because if it is then there are/were a lot of threads that could have been classified as bias and those weren't deleted IMO this is what makes TB so great to agree to disagree.( Bruce please do not take this as me trying to flame" you out because I've read some your comments and found some of them to be very honest,and astute and a few that I might not neccasarily agree with but this is what this forum is about).

10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Mike,
    Thanks for your response. Here is my experience. I got the iamp800 just after the Jan 2003 NAMM show. It has run flawlessly since then. It is played on a daily basis either on gigs, in the studio or at home. I gig with it, on average, 3 days a week (usually 3 or 4 hour long sets).

As an EA shill, I can tell you that the intial production had an adhesive that held on the tuner chip that was not as sticky as it should have been. This problem was addressed immediatly and now all of the tuner chips are adhered by mechanical means (screwed in).

Other than that the only other problem with an iAMP 800 that I am aware of is with Gil's, which he readily admits that he had some responsibility in causing (even so EA took care of him promptly).

Let me give you some history. I had an SWR Baby Blue (the original) that spent more time at the factory getting repaired than being used. This, however, was a long time ago. I had a Trace Elliot that was absolutley bullet proof. Unfortunately it was VERY heavy and didn't really sound that good. I also had a Walter Woods that was of decent power (400 watts bridged) and very light weight. I never had a single problem with it. I loved that amp but in all honesty it worked much better with upright than with electric. I later found out that this is due, in part, to its switching power supply (rather than a transformer). Medium power switching power supplies just don't have the reserve current needed to handle the attack transients of the electric bass. I am sure a WW ultra High Power amp would be much more suited to the electric bass.

My ONLY regret about the iAMP 800 is that I have an earlier one with the red faced knobs. I think the newer, all black knobs, look a bit classier.

Mike, you are to be commended for re-phrasing this thread. It is much appreciated.

Mike Dimin

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    One more thing -

EA has produced other amps with the integrated Sabine tuner. So it was a real surprise to us that the method of adhereing the tuner actually failed in this case.

Mike

12. Bruce Lindfield

Because it was starting from the assumption that there would be faults with the amp and the poll had 4 options - 3 of which were for things going wrong !!

13. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I have an even older white faced iAmp600.

I've said this before and I'll say it again:

It is the best sounding amp I ever heard. I sold an Ampeg SVT2 to buy it and I bought it over an Eden that I tried in the shop at the same time.

It gets played every day at home and gets gigged or rehearsed probably once every couple of weeks - sometimes miore frequently, sometmies less.

Why do I like it so much? Well, it's got plenty of headroom for stage volume and the DI is good. It is also clean as a whistle and doesnt colour the sound of my basses (like an Eden, or Trace elliot, or even some Ashdowns would!)Every bass I've played through it sounds like it should do and they always sound good. Oh and the built in tuner is a brilliant idea.

When my 600 breaks and cant be mended, I will definitley buy an 800. :)

H

14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Looks like you might never get an 800 ;)

Mike

15. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Heh, indeed... good thing, bad thing? Cant make my mind up?! :)

16. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Well, I've got an '85 G&L SB-1 original pickups I think. Would I run into similar disappointments that I heard with SWRhead/ea 112 combination? I now got a couple of Aguilar Gs-112's to gloss over my sound. :p Do you think iamp 800 would sound good with G&L and Gs-112?

howard, iamp 800 is lighter.

17. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I think a iamp 800/Aguilar Gs-112 or Gs212 would sound incredible !:eek:

18. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Although I like to see EA sell iAMPS, I think you would be best to follow your own "rules" in your sig. Make sure that if you cannot try it at a local shop that there is some sort of an evaluation period

Mike

19. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I personally use the 800 with the GS112 (upright)and the GS210 (electric). I use both when I really need to be heard :bassist: I can honestly say that the match of the head and cabs have really given me the sound I always wanted. I don't think you can go wrong with the Aguilar cab/EA head combo. I think there are a couple of other TBers with the iamp 800 + 2 GS112 setup.

20. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Now, mike, you understand that I would not violate my rules no matter how new I am to them. I'm simply accessing whether I should spend any time looking into the matter.