Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Honest Opinions on Avatar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fatsobasso, Dec 26, 2005.

1. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    What does everyone think of Avatar speaker cabs?

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

3. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i love mine.

Edit:

My rig is currently a G-K 1001RB head, the old model 4x10, and the old model 2x12 cabs. I added a diffrent cap to the 4x10 to keep some of the deep lows out of it, cleans up the sound a TON ( which the owner of avatar 2 day UPS'ed me for free after i talked to him about it ).

4. ricosuave2093

ricosuave2093

Jun 9, 2005
    Oregon
    I'm running the same head through the B410Kappa Pro 4ohm and I basically agree. It's a great cab with tons of punch and loads of low yet very crisp and clean. I can't compare to any other cab because it's the only one I've owned but I've heard it compares to the Ampeg 410HLF. Oh also do a search on Avatar hear or go to Harmony-Central.com there is tons of positive stuff and Dave is a good honest guy to deal with.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    They are decent, low dollar, cabinets. They are gig worthy. Despite what some say here, they don't sound anywhere near as good as a lot of mid and high end cabs, but for the price, you can't expect them to.

I played one of the 4 x 10's with the old crossover, and thought it was harsh, brittle, with no distinct low end. A horrible cab overall. However, I understand the crossover has been upgraded and the cabs sound better now. I'd probably buy a 1 12 or a 2 10 for a practice/small gig cab, but I wouldn't use one as my main gigging cab. JMHO.

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Ya, what he said and...ok, I've only heard one avatar cab, 12", it was o.k., sounded useable. reminded me of SWR Workingman cab type sound.

7. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    think meat and potatos.. they are cheap and go loud and sound fine for most applications. I dig my 2x10 2x12 cabs stacked, with my mackie 1400i poweramp fed by my RBI.. heaps of grunt, good solid wel defined tone right down to my SR5 low B THUMP. If you're on a budget, they can't be beat imo.

8. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a 2x10" and a 4x10"..the older version with the old X-over in them. I had to basically turn the tweeter off becuase it was very harsh. The cabs are not very efficient. They can handle a decent amount of wattage, but will not produce as much output as a higher quality brand. They are constructed well and look nice. The 10's don't go as low as some other brands around the same caliber (Peavey, Crate, Workingmans etc...) but I think the Avatars would hold up better in constant gigging situations. I ended up getting a Schroeder 310212 to replace my 2x10 + 4x10 stack. The Schroeder blows the Avatar away, but costs 3 times more. I am using my Avatars now as a mess around cab at my buddies house that is a drummer...We aren't in a band together...we just write silly songs in his basement for our own amusement. The Avatars are fine for this kind of application.

9. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Perfectly gig-worthy, IMO. Mine (a couple of different 1-12 models) sounded as good or better than 90% of the cabs I've ever owned. Modified the crossover in mine IAW a thread found here about a year ago. Liked it even better then.

Easier for me to get used to the sound of than a certain high-profile name found here on TB.

Not up to comparison against super hi-end, of course. But for the price, whadda ya want?

Again, IMO, best bang for the buck cabinet out there. With the new model crossovers, I wouldn't be afraid to use them anywhere.

dcr

10. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    I recently purchased a 4-10neo and have to say its a fine cabinet. It's being used with a 4 piece blues band and sounds excellent. There's nothing wrong with the horn. Avatar seems to be an excellent choice for the money.

11. chout

chout

Dec 21, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    Are these about the same quality as the GK backline cabs...,or?

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I put Avatar on par with GK's pro line stuff. Can Avatar compete with Eden, SWR, Bergitino, Aguilar? The answer is no. Can Avatar compete with Hartke, GK, Ampeg, Genz-Benz, Peavy, Fender, and Ashdown? The anwer is yes.

I'm very happy with my 4x10 Neo. It will eventually get replaced with an Eden or SWR and probaly become permenant fixture at a rehersal space, but for right now, it sounds great. Other than its signature mid-bump, I find the cab to be very transparent, which is a good thing if you like the natural timbre of your instrument to shine through.

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

IMHO, yes.

14. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    I recently got an Avatar Delta 210 which I got mainly for a home practice rig...I have to honestly say :rolleyes: that my Avatar cab doesn't hold a candle to my Schroeder 410 :) cab-not nearly :eyebrow: as loud at same amp volumes and tone is pretty flat :meh: and cabinet buzzes :( and vibrates :rollno: a little...but you get what you pay for I guess...I could never go back to playing through a cab like this after playing through the Shroeder Cabinet... :ninja:

15. I have never had any problems with buzzing or construction with my Avatar B212. It's a fine cab I gig and practice with regularly and is one component I never worry about failing. The complaints I've heard are from people with cabs loaded with regular Eminence deltas, because Eminence Deltas make poor bass speakers.

The sound and appearance of an Avatar cab is generic. You don't get that magic sound with some signature logo on the front. You will get a properly contructed bass cab and if you pick it out properly you will hear you playing your bass in the mix, and it will cover high to low without a lot of mud or distortion.

They are on the same lines as Peavey and Fender and are straight up better than Behringer, Crate, GK Backline, SWR Workingman's, and Hartke, IMHO of course. If Dave offered a premeir line of his bass cabs than nothing would seperate them from SWR, Ampeg, Ashdown ABM, and similar brands; which is to say that those brands are only seperated by their finishing details.

16. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida

Hey i appreciate that info on the Eminence deltas, :) what speakers do you have in you 2-12 cab?

17. bad_andy

bad_andy

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    +1 My B212 is my main gigging cabinet and it sounds more or less like the amp that's driving it. (I *like* flat frequency response out of my amplification gear.) It's not Eden flat, but it's less than a quarter of the price. It sounded warm and pleasantly colored like my SVT II when that was running it. Now it sounds pretty transparent like my Acoustic Image Clarus head since that's a solid state reference flat amp. The cabinet is tight from bass to treble and unlike the Peavy 4x10 that came before it never overdrives at higher sound pressure. Dave, the Avatar owner/builder is a great guy to work with on the phone. He recommended the 2x12 as his best sounding cabinet for use by itself. Honestly, I've run through some friends' SWR rigs and I just haven't been that impressed with what they got for the money. Even the Working Man stuff seems underpowered and overpriced. :bag: Eden is still the gold standard to me for clean power, but I've had nothing but positive experiences with my Avatar cabinet. It's clean, loud and built like a tank.:)

18. Why did you lump Ampeg in with that group? Ampeg is some of the finest amplification on the planet. The fact that Ampeg is used by so many pros without money restraints is a testament to its quality. Anyone wanna back me up here? To be honest, though, I haven't owned much. I used to have a GK Backline 112 combo. Now I have a 410HLF and a B2R head. I find my sound on the Ampeg to be fantastic. Are you commenting on their lower level stuff, or is there just much better stuff out there that I've never heard? Blame GC for not having anything but Ampeg. :rollno:

19. I have Avatars B212 and think its an good cabinet.
    Maybe due to my never dying GAS I wouldn't mind switching it out for Aguilar or Eden cab though. I have an Eden WT-330 which is a great head and puts out very nice low end, but I think the cab might not be tuned in the sort to product sub sonic low end. Like, I'm talking about the deepest of the deep. The Avatar B212 is voiced a little punchier which is great, but I think it lacks the deepest of harmonic freq due to it.

Just my Opinion.

I know Aguilar's voice is targed to super deep freq rumble, which is my current lust.

20. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    I bought a B210 Neo to hold me until I could swing a Schroeder. It's a solid cab that hasn't let me down yet, it's done everything I've asked it to (and we get pretty loud sometimes). No buzz/construction issues other than the harshness from the old crossover, but I was well aware of that going in. It sounds okay if I keep the tweeter reigned in -- I run it about 1/4 to 1/3 open.

I don't know how you could do much, if any, better for the money.

'rick