Honest opinions, please

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by yawnsie, Jul 2, 2002.

1. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Okay, a few weeks ago, I put some of my band's mp3s up for everyone to listen to, and thankfully, they got a pretty good response. Now, I'm afraid I need your help again.

Basically, I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me what they think of my band from what's on our website- I know it's a strange thing to ask for, but some outside views from (hopefully) quite a diverse range of people would help us. I know that there isn't much to go on on the site, but I'd really appreciate it if anyone could give us any (constructive) critisism.

Are our songs rubbish? Do we look like idiots on stage? What about our image? Does the singer seem to be up his arse? Am I too fat/ugly/drunk?

I know that it's a lot to ask, but as I say, I'd really like to hear what people think of us since I've been having a bit of a crisis of confidence lately.

Thanks in advance for your time and replies.

2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Good layout...easy navigation...and nah, you don't look to fat or drunk or ugly...as long as ya sound good (havent had the time to d/l any mp3's yet). About the site, it'd be better if you could do more like animations/backgrounds rather than solid colors (IMO, their boring)..maybe instead of using :plain: text's, use something that fits the band, or just somthing more stylish..The title, maybe throw up some logos on each side/behind it. Future gigs, maybe put how to get to each place from the four major directions, N S E W. and a phone number to contact the place for people to get excat directions and such...On the mp3 site...maybe put a short short short description of the song or some lyrics of the song or somethin'. These are just a few of my ideas, I took web-page classes in school, and I might be able to bring some of the info back to help...Oh, you might also consider throwing up a Flash Intro or some sort of opening page? I dunno, depends on the amount of space you have. Thanks
    P.S. If you want any more info, just e-mail me...
  3. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Thanks for the advice. Actually, we've got someone redesigning the whole site for us at the moment (he's a bass player too, actually... he lent me his Trace Elliot rig for a gig once), which will hopefully be a lot better. I'll pass on some of your advice, though. Cheers! :)
  4. ok.. you wanted my honest opinion eh ?

don't take offend in it, but then again.. you did want my honest opinion....

1) drums : good recording of the snare and crash/splash/hi-hat.. but the bassdrum is too muffled and too soft in relation to the other parts of the drum-kit

2) bass & guitar : good balance between these 2.. they're both very audible.

3) drums are a tad too loud in relation to the vocals and guitar/bass..

4) the whole package could use a little better EQ'ing.

my verdict : good stuff, but keep an eye on the details.

website ( oh boy.. here it comes.. ;) )

bad :

1) title of the page is " untitled document ", beginners-error #1.

2) black background, beginners-error #2.

3) off-site guestbook

4) too little photo's of the bassplayer ;)

5) public visitor counter ( visitors don't care how many ppl saw your site.. make it non-public.. )

good :

1) own domain, big plus !

2) white text. ( if there is one thing that is 100 % annoying on a lot of websites.. it is that they use too much different colors )

3) good structure, clear menu on the side and

4) no annoying popups with monkeys that need punching..

My verdict : good page, but details.. details.. :)
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey Yawnsie,

If you remember my PM, you'll recall my opinion of KEEP CALLING ME. I haven't had a chance to check the other tunes yet, (darn this 56K modem), but I will eventually. For some reason, that damn tune keeps calling me, and I listen to it regularly, (as I am now). I freakin' love that tune.

Anyway, on to the bass page.

I would first agree that the black background is banal. Something with a little more class, I'm thinking. A shade of gray possibly, I don't know.

I'd also agree that the hit count, or whatever you call it, doesn't need to be there.

The font size on the BAND INFO section is a little too small. However, more importantly, it's written very well. Does "proggression" have two "G"s? Is that an English thing?

The Band bios are fine. Not sure about the listing of favorite football team. Here, it might make the band seem a little less mature or refined. That could easily be a cultural thing though.

I like the mp3 section. It's easy to get what you want. How about a short song description for each though?

The Future Gigs section is nice. How about a mapquest link to each pub, or something like that?

The Band Pics area is very nice.

How about an online press kit, downloadable. Maybe a pdf file?

Overall, very nice job. I also like the fact that you own the domain.
  6. I honestly don't know what to add after reading the other suggestions...I downloaded all the mp3's (thankyou, computer nerd brother, for the cable modem) and I'm absolutely loving them. I'm not going to offer any advice, really, because it would just be repeating what Jazzbo and Allodox said...the one thing I will say is...DON'T GET A FLASH INTRO! Sorry, I had to yell to get my point across...am I the only person on this earth that finds flash intro's the most annoying thing ever? Gah...I've always liked the simple, like, one picture intro, you know? Every band has a flash intro now, and I almost lose respect for the as soon as I see them...

Sorry, I'm a little bit off of the subject. Overall, the site could use a whole bunch of minor work, but nothing screams out to me as terrible. As for the music, easily two thumbs up. Keep rockin' it, dude, and all should be fine.

7. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I downloaded "keep calling me",not my cup of tea,but honestly i thought it was very good!Nice classic rock,bluesy feel to it.The website,well all the other guys said what I thought.Oh yeah,like what Sock said,dont do a flash intro!Very annoying and takes long to load up if u have a 56k modem.I like that bassline in keep calling me when it takes off,good work.You guys are great,keep it up!
  8. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Thanks for replying, everyone. Hopefully, we should have a new site sooner or later, which from what I've seen is much better than the one we've got at the moment. Still, all your comments are appreciated, and will be considered.

I'm glad our music has gotten pretty good reviews, too. We've done it ourselves, and left much of the production in the hands of the guitarist, which is probably why it doesn't sound quite spot on. Still, hopefully we can improve that.
  9. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida

Hey! I like punching those damn monkeys. Those bastards deserve it.

:D :p
  10. you like punching monkeys ? :eek:

i prefer to " spank my monkey " rather than punch it :p :D
  11. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Pretty good stuff.

Some observations... from the pix it looks like you may kind of stake out a spot and just hang out there while you are playing. If you have enough room, move around a bit...

You guys all look cool. I don't see any image issues. Heck, I want your autograph! :)

I agree that your bass drum is not loud enough in your recording... I also think that your singer is too loud, overpowering the instuments... you may want to play with the balances a bit more.

I enjoyed listening to all of your tunes. I bet you guys put on a cool show.
  12. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :D