1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Honestly, why wouldn't I want a Peavey Cirrus 4 USA?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrentSimons, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Great looks,nice electronics,neck through. The only thing that has me worried is the 35" scale. Would any Cirrus owners like to chime in and tell me and tell about any reach issues or dislikes in general? I'm looking at a Redwood 4 USA.
    Thanks,
    Brent

2. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    I've had two. they play nicely and have a good sound, but I found the neck to be too thick for it's width. I prefer a wider and shallower neck. I'm used to 35" scale so it was no bother.
    Best of luck with your search.

3. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I have one. I rarely play it. The 35" scale is to long for me. Great bass though, I just can't play it. Keep your eye out for mine to show up for sale soon.

4. More info bump

5. I own a redwood 6'er and I love it. It was a slight adjustment from the 34" I was used to playing to the 35" which the Peavey is but all in all it's a great instrument. If you have average to large sized hands then the 35" would be easier to adjust to, IMO at least. The B string is amazing on this bass, although you wouldn't need to know that since you're getting a 4 banger.

6. 69limeRev

69limeRev Supporting Member

May 1, 2007
    Western Pa.
    I'm 5'6". No issues whatsoever with the 35" scale (although mine is a 5 string), and I spend a lot of time playing short scales. In all honesty, I'm shocked at the build quality for the $$$. I'd put it very nearly up there with both the Warrior and Wal I used to own.

7. I'm also 5'6" and it's really not that difficult to play 35" scale. Definitely one of the better playing basses on the market and can compete with basses 2-3x the price.

8. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    i really can't think of any negatives with a cirrus other than it having 24 frets (which i can live without) but that is inherent in the design. it's not great at producing "vintage" like tones but i have other basses for that and while a 35" scale isn't my ideal , i don't find it uncomfortable or awkward. it gets used regularly in my rotation so jumping from it to what might be called my more "traditional" instruments really isn't a problem. it's my go to bass when i need that squeaky clean ultra modern tone (i generally prefer a more vintage like tone) and it sounds the best, by far, with my overdrive pedal than my others. so, yeah, it's a great bass with top notch build quality that would serve anyone well. but, don't expect it to do everything. no bass is capable of that.

9. Longstreet

Longstreet

May 30, 2009
    Bells, Texas
    I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I'll put my 2 cents in here.

I've been playing for 2 years now. I got started on a Cirrus BXP that actually belongs to my church. Since then I've played a borrowed Fender Precision, my son's Ibanez 5 string, and a Peavey Fury II (mine). I won't pretend to be impartial; I love the Cirrus. Not to offend the Fender folks here, but after learning on the Cirrus the Fender felt like a 2X4. Sounded great, just didn't like the feel. My son's Ibanez is great, good tone, love the B, but don't really need it that often. My Fury II is a sweet little cheap bass, and I enjoy it. But none of them come close to the Cirrus. Clean tone, sweet action, since I learned on 35 inch that's not a problem...there's nothing I don't like about it. If the BXP's are great (and from everything I hear and know about them, they are) the USA's are just that much better.

Like most of us on here, 1 bass just isn't enough for me. While I'm proud of my little $100 Fury, that doesn't keep me from looking around. There are several different basses I've got my eye on (I confess to having seriously naughty thoughts about the Schecter Hellraiser) if you were to ask me what my dream bass is, the one I'd have if I could only have one, the one to which I compare all the others...

USA Cirrus. I don't even have to think about it. And the redwoods I've seen are absolutely gorgeous.

10. Don't like 35" scale, don't like the Cirrus' tone, don't like the look. I do respect the quality, it's just not for me.

Edit: My initial response was to the thread title- I am not a Cirrus owner, but I did try a 5er years ago.

11. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

I have 2 Cirrus basses - a 4 and a 5. They are both amazing, but the 5 is exceptional (Ken Smith clone). I need to spend more time learning to play it.

Although the prices are going up a bit, a used Cirrus is still the super bargain of basses

The necks on both are perfect, and I don't really notice the 1" longer scale. It's just what you get used to. I have basses with 30, 31, 32, 34 and 35" scales and I just change between them without thinking - it just becomes automatic.

With the 5, you play further up the next most of the time, so the scale is not an issue.

One more point - Peavey's customer service is fantastic.

12. I played on a 5er Peacock Blue/Maple at a GC, and man... The action on these things can go so low, and that was just on a guitarcenter setup! It was highly active in the high mids and would not be good for old school funk, but if you're looing for an aggrassive rock tone or some fusion jazz I cannot think of a better bass in the price range.

13. The EQ, especially when upgraded to sweepable mids, is very capable of copping a lot of tones. I probably would have preferred 2-3 set EQ points, but it's not too hard to dial in something that fits darn near every bill.

14. True. I'm sure that if I had spent more than 5 minutes on it, I would have found a tone serviceable for every genre- they really are versatile basses.

15. dogbass

dogbass Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    If the only thing that has you worried is the 35" scale, I'd say go for it. I play a Millennium Plus which is also a 35 and the change over from playing 34's is barely perceptible, IMO. I am by no means gifted with particularly long finger reach either ! The Cirrus is such a fantastic instrument in so many respects.

16. Thank you Fellas for your opinions.
    Brent

17. I own the fiver in Peacock Blue w/ maple board, I'll never sell it. If the house caught fire, it would be one of the first I grabbed on my way out the door (or window). Definitely one of my top 3 basses. I see no reason to go boutique, this bass offers so much. Used prices = killer bang for the buck.

As for the 35" scale, I'm sure some people are more sensitive to scale than I am, but an extra inch spread over the entire scale has never been an issue for me.

18. MKoby

MKoby

Jul 14, 2004
    MD/Metro DC
    I've had issues with my hands, and although I play a G bass, the 35" has not been an issue.

Personal taste on neck thickness--Cirrus is thick but not uncomfortably so. It's really about what you like.
    I don't have one but they seem very nice.

19. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I have a walnut/bubinga Cirrus 5er and it is my primary bass these days. I won't lie to you, I'm 5'7" and I definitely notice the 35" scale on the Cirrus. However, even though I notice it, it plays so well, with the low action and all, that it doesn't really slow me down and I've found that the tone and playability are worth the occasional extra reach down to 1st fret. You can get the action REALLY low on this. The only bass I've had that could get lower action was a Dingwall AB1 and those have banjo frets (really tiny) so its not really a fair comparison.

As far as tone, maybe its just the walnut/bubinga version, but I can get a pretty convincing Motown tone out of mine by soloing the neck p/u, killing most of the treble and turning up the bass and the mids a little. The preamp, while powerful, doesn't have a lot of boost or cut in it, but this is a GOOD thing. A lot of preamps have tons of boost and/or cut, which make it very easy to get bad tone out of. All the adjustments you can make to the Cirrus preamp are USABLE, I haven't found a bad tone in it, but I have found LOTS of good ones.

Also, the only time I "notice" the extra scale length is at the 1st fret on the lowest two strings (low C & F). I solve the F problem by playing those ntoes on the 6th fret on the low B, which is actually LESS of a reach the 1st-fret F on a 34" scale bass. I've played many 5ers where you couldn't use the low B about the 5th fret, but the Cirrus low B is usable all the way up the neck. So, low C and, to a lesser extent, C# are the only notes where I "feel" the extra scale length. This may not apply to you getting a 4-string instead of a 5er, but I felt its worth mentioning, that even though I notice it, the payoff is worth it. Plus, if you ever intend to tune it down (drop tunings or BEAD tuning), the Cirrus 4 will be up to it, possibly more than any other 4-string I can think of.

20. I believe they're just thick enough to be able to have a strong, sturdy, unmovable neck without having a baseball bat neck. The neck on my Cirrus is solid. I know I'm going to PO a lot of people when I say this but I got a "BRAND NEW" USA Cirrus with a redwood top for $800. I checked out how much it would cost the custom shop to build me one identical to the one I own and it would be $2,749. I'm so blessed.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020