Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Honesty at Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassconbeatz, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    I recently placed an order for my first Sadowsky custom NYC JJ5, and I requested for a grade AAA flame top (see link) for my new dream bass. I just received an email from Kevin at Sadowsky telling me that flame top are not graded, and would not require a premium, WOW!, I just saved some money. Most businesses would have just pocketed the money, and probably would have never notified the customer. Compliments to Rodger & the gang.

Bassconbeatz

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/zid1992/detail?.dir=/755a&.dnm=caf8scd.jpg&.src=ph

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    great service from Sadowsky as usual!

Great top too!!

3. steve21

steve21 Banned

Love it. Roger rules.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's a pic of an "ungraded" top from Roger. It's koa. I'd call it AAAAA, but what do I know?

5. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    When I ordered mine, I knew I could totally trust them because it was going to be a Sadowsky.

6. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Not surprising at all!

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    there are many , many extremely reputable bass makers, Mike Tobias, for example, but you will not find someone with a better reputation than Roger Sadowsky.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm not suprised that Sadowsky was very upfront and honest. I have heard about their good reputation over the years. I suspect, however, that many other high-end makers would respond in a similar fashion. Remember that boutique makers aren't large factories. Their clientele is small and usually knowledgeable. Bass Guitar noted that Sadowsky only makes about 200 NYC basses yearly. In an operation that small, one had better satisfy the customers.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    By the way, Bass Guitar reviewed a really gorgeous P5 in their latest issue. That is a bass I could seriously dream about!

10. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    That's great to hear. I can truly appreciate those who don't take advantage...

11. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Exactly. I know several manufacturers (medium and higher end) that I personally talked to before I went Sadowsky and they all said flame was graded AND gave me increasing prices for them.

12. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Mike, I had gotten a quote from a very big name builder and was turned off when he quoted me $500 for a Walnut top. I was blown away. I could have gotten the best top from Gilmer for $100 at the time.

I can understand a premium. I have no problem paying for what I want and no problem with the builder making a profit but to charge five times cost is a bit much in my opinion. I passed and had a bass made by another builder.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I agree. While this is certainly excellent customer service, it isn't something out of the ordinary.

-Mike

14. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

OK I have that beat. Ready? I will not mention the company BUT for their USA Made basses the color is standard in the pricing. However, that is for a non-gloss finish. For a gloss finish (like on any normal bass excpt Warwick) they charge $900 for that gloss finish.

Now, the company that sprays the basses for them charges one flat fee to the bass manufacturer whether it is gloss or not. No extra for a gloss finish. I brought it to the anntention of the finishing company and they were really shocked. They had no idea.

Now THAT is getting screwed and taken advantage of. That is one of many reasons I stop using their basses.

$5 to the person who can name the two companies first.

15. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    I wish you'd stop posting that pic.....

checks credit card limit.

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

17. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I'm winning, I'm winning

Spe**or??

18. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Oh, God, another thread/excuse to glorify Sadowsky. Geez...

I love my 5-24, BTW.

19. Jeez, if they consider that ungraded, I wonder what their graded body woods look like.

20. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Most refreshing in this day and age!!!! +1 to the Sadowsky organization!