1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Honeyburst? Tobacco burst? What's the deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madjazzbass, May 7, 2018.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Pictured here are a few Fender Basses, 2 are with a "Honeyburst" finish, and 1 is a "Tobacco burst" finish; I don't see a whole lot of difference in the coloring of the Basses ... I'm thinking there may've been a typo cause they All look like Tobacco burst to me. The Mike Lull Jazz is also listed as "Honeyburst" qtx70sb3pna4d044mv9g09mhjr. US18035780-body-large. 160949594_fender-lyte-fretless-p-bass-1993-honeyburst. LULLM5VHBURST2716-6T.

74hc and murphy like this.
  2. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    You can tell them apart when you play them: the honeyburst sounds more sweetish, while the tobacco has a smokey flavour to it.

3. I'd call all of them "Honeyburst". My G&L L2500 is "Tobacco Sunburst". (avatar photo and below)

kpbbocjkjr7pspsprja0.

4. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    2 of those look like Sienna bursts which I'm not usually attracted to, the honey Elite looks great tho.

madjazzbass likes this.
  5. Early on Tobacco burst was the name used for three tone bursts with brown instead of red (Cherry sunburst differed in that the outer edge was red, not black). Not sure when that changed, but it may have been during the '80's or '90's when Sienna burst, Lemon burst, Fruit Punch burst... started to show up. Maybe it's just a marketing tactic to make you think one particular shade is sexier than the others, even though they all are pretty much minor variations on a basic theme. Car companies have been doing that for years. What sounds better: "Midnight Charcoal" or "Metallic Grey"; "Sandstone" or "Beige"; "Merlot" or "Maroon"? See?

murphy and madjazzbass like this.
  6. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Yeah, that's my favorite as well

Bass V likes this.
  7. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    Neither is tobacco burst imo. Tobacco burst tends to be more dark brown.

gungrog, jmattis, jmlee and 7 others like this.
  8. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    My dad and I like to call those Tabasco bursts!

covermego, TolerancEJ and twinjet like this.
  9. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Yeah, but that's how Fender has been listed on the Fender page/site

10. ruju

ruju

Dec 9, 2017
    Ontario,Canada
    AFAD68EC-0175-4E85-8670-48B5A8894C78. To me this is tobacco burst.. yet Ibanez calls it dark brown burst...

11. Bobro

Bobro

Feb 22, 2018
    Those colors are all so Middle Earth looking I'd call it a Hobbit Burst! Only 70s prog is allowed to played on a bass that has a Hobbit Burst, like Gentle Giant and stuff like that. Jethro Tull stuff woudl be fine, too.

felis, BEADG63, DDXdesign and 5 others like this.
  12. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    I don't have a picture of it but I used to have a G&L original headstock L1000 that was tobacco burst and it was a lot more brown then those, it smelled like cigarettes too ;)

MYLOWFREQ, soulman969 and Rich Fiscus like this.
  13. BassWaffle

BassWaffle

Apr 10, 2011
    DC/Baltimore
    The sienna bursts on some T40s are gorgeous. My ovation magnum is a Greyburst lol, just grey to darker grey

14. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    And what we have here ladies and gentlemen is the Sienna burst Fender83EliteII_322531_18.

BrentSimons and Son of Wobble like this.
  15. I guess I see brightness, and saturation differences. But, very close to each other yes.

soulman969 and madjazzbass like this.
  16. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Yes, absolutely. I guess it also depends on the time of day and/or your mood;):D

ruju likes this.
  17. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Bravo, sir! You win 1 internet!

Internet+high+five+join+the+high+fivers+thumbs_4a7b41_3281983.

Old Blastard and twinjet like this.
  18. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    To me anyways, I've always considered the burst finish as following; Black+Red+Yellow(orange)=3 tone sunburst, Black+Yellow(orange)= Tobacco sunburst, and Red+yellow(orange)=Honey burst.

dfoehr likes this.
  19. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Want to see one that really confused me when I first picked it up? My G&L's cherryburst. Still kind of does.
    20160526_114905-1-1.

Like, hey, man, is it red? Or is it orange?

jmlee, BrentSimons, ruju and 2 others like this.
  20. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    This is my Magnificent 7, Fender calls it 3TSB...
    IMG_0124.