1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Honeymoon Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by soundoholic, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Hello one and all. Well I'm getting Married, which is pretty great!

Our problem is that we need to decide soon on where our honeymoon will be. We are looking at going to Mexico as it is very affordable. My concern is that we would be going in early October. Would the weather suck? Any advice on where to go during October in Mexico or somewhere tropical would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    If it looks like the weather is going to suck in whatever location, go on honeymoon somewhere cool like Japan.

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Hawaii.

4. I see that the Caribbean may be a bad idea. Would the west coast of Mexico be as bad?

Sorry but we probably shouldn't go to Hawaii as my fiance has been there.

5. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    You're going on your honeymoon, why should you are about the weather?!?! Whether you and your fiance have "sampled the goods" or not yet, you should be spending your time inside sampling them even more! :D

OK, seriously. If I'm not mistaken hurricane season goes through November. The odds of a storm go down as you get closer to the end, but I'd guess there's still a risk that you can't plan around. Other than that, I'd guess you'd have some seriously warm tropical weather that time of year. We go to Florida almost every November and it's usually still nice enough to swim outdoors then (maybe not for too long, but it's certainly doabale).

6. Flabby1

Flabby1 Guest

Sep 23, 2007
    carribbean cruise would be a lot of fun

7. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    When I read the title "honeymoon help" was thinking...god, I hope he doesn't need any help ON his honeymoon. I was going to suggest taping it to a popsicle stick.

8. You did mention "affordable" in your OP. This was also an issue when my wife and I got married.

My theory for us was "if you spent all your money getting there, what will you do when you're there". That being said, we had our honeymoon about 3 hours from home at a wicked resort "Deerhurst" in Huntsville, Ontario. With the money we saved in getting there (I drove), we were able to overboard pamper ourselves whilst there...people thought we were filthy rich (ya, right). We both love fishing, so we spent most of the days out on the water, and enjoyed all the Venues, Clubs, Shows etc. at night right at the resort. Totally Awesome Honeymoon!

October is wonderful in Southern Ontario, especially in the Muskoka and surrounding area, and usually in Oct, I'm not longing for a beach as summer has ended only a few weeks ago. It's just chilly enough to bring you 2 a little closer together. (nudge nudge, say no more)

And if ya like fishing, the Fall Bassin' is amazing!

Just something for you to ponder.

9. I think anything hinting at sex usually gets a good response here!

10. DIAB

lowsound

11. I like your advice. I should have mentioned that we will are only going for four days. So we should be able to get the most out of our money.

Even though I do live in South Dakota, I am no fisherman. The only Bass I catch is a Lakland. :smug: We're looking for sun, drinks on the beach and some activities. But I really like the idea of getting the biggest bang for your buck.

12. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    What's your budget?

Fiji is amazing and very inexpensive, FWIW.

13. I wanted it to be around $2,000 with tickets(not including food and such). Lower would always be better. My fiance may have different expectations than I do but that's what I'd like.

14. Book it last minute, there is always something open and for cheap. My parents just went to a four star resort in Cuba for $900 each. All inclusive.

lowsound

15. I've been to Cancun in late October/early November. The weather was sunny and warm but not super hot. It was warm enough to lounge on the beach and swim in the resort swimming pools, so that was good enough for me. Since it was off-season, crowds were VERY light. All in all, it was a good time of year to go, except that we did have to worry about a hurricane the week before we left. Luckily, it missed the area.

16. Doesn't that seem a little backwards? It seems like you should be able to get cheaper hotels and especially flights booked farther out.

17. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I guess not if they're trying to fill last minute cancellations.

18. They are usually trying to fill up. The closer it gets to the time the cheaper it goes for. Sometimes it gets down to below cost, just so they can cover overhead and make a profit off the suckers that paid full price.

lowsound

19. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    +1, I used to work in hotels and it's the same way. After 11 pm, they will sell you a room for just about anything over the cost of cleaning it, since otherwise it will sit there empty and they'll make nothing. It's even more so with a plane - the plane is going whether it has empty seats or not, any amount of money over the cost of processing the paperwork and the crackers and soda they give you is just money in their pockets. They'll take what they can get.

20. I think this is a great idea but in practice it could be scary. Imagine what would happen if we didn't get a flight or hotel? I think it's something to consider. Thanks for the advice Dave and lowsound.