Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hong Kong Bass Info, Anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Mike Carr, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    It's looking like I will be playing in Hong Kong begining in early December for several months. With a bit of light, but steady bread about to come my way I can't help but wonder if this might be a good time for me to look into the possabilty of buying myself a good made in China hybrid or fully carved bass while in over there. Does anybody know anyone in Hong Kong that has some sort of connections with any of the makers of GOOD china basses, not craptastics or Palentinos. Something please, of the quality of Shens and the other made in China basses that have been receiving a great deal of praise on this board. I'm hoping that by buying in Hong Kong I could save some money. I know that there will still be the expence of getting one shipped back to the States, but I'd still hope to get a good bass for less than I could in the States. Should I be fortunate enough to get a bass in this manner it would most certainly be a bass for my personal use only, I'm not trying to get into the business of importing basses for sale in the States. I'm simply a working musician who wants to try to save some money while getting a better bass to play. We know all too well how expensive even what might be concidered to be moderately priced basses can be, takes a lot of nights on the bandstand for me to come up with enough cabbage to buy basses, and still see to it that my eighteen year old son gets enough for his education.
    I'd be greatful for any sort of info regarding this bass buying endeavor I'm concidering, since an opportunity to be in that part of the world has presented itself to me I'd like to take full advantage of it.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I suggest you get in touch with bassist Sylvain Gagnon who's from Montreal but now living in Hong Kong since several years.
    He should be able to help you.

3. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Thanks, I'll be sure to contact him!

4. Francois, is Sylvain related to Jacques of Cremonasia fame in the Phillipines?

5. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Hi Paul,
    I don't know but I'll ask him!
    I'll let you know as soon as he answers me.

6. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Well,
    Sylvain never replied to my email, so I asked Jacques directly, and he said they're not related.
    Sorry for the delay, Paul!

7. Thanks for asking, Francois!

8. Mike Stearns

Mike Stearns

Sep 26, 2004
    Montana
    Francois:

Try Steve Koscica at www.stringemporium.com. He was Principal bassist w/Hong Kong Symphony for several years. I can tell you from experience that the Wan Bernadel that he handles is a fantastic instrument in your price range.

Good luck,
    Mike

9. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I'm not the one who asked about Hong Kong bass info.
    Mike Carr was.
    I was just trying to help by giving Sylvain Gagnon's coordinates to Mike C.

10. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Mike Stearns, thanks! That's just the kind of person I had hoped to be able to be in contact with. Someone that knows the city and knows bass too. I'll be sure to be in contact with him.
    I never got anywhere trying to contact Sylain Gagnon, maybe his e-mail's no good anymore or he's moved on.
    Thanks again!