Hong Kong prices!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Jan 21, 2001.

Oh my GOODNESS! Prices of basses here in Hong Kong are SOOO low!

A couple examples:
    A pedulla MVP/Buzz suggested price in the Guitar & Bass buyer's guide 2000/2001: $6595
    The same bass at store price in Hong Kong: HK$35,000 - US$4375

A Rickenbacker 4004L suggested price: $1,749
    Same bass in Hong Kong: HK$9,500 - US$1187.50

Fender '62 Jazz bass (my first) suggested price: 1749.99
    Same bass in Hong Kong: HK$9,800 - US$1225

Also, keep in mind that in Hong Kong there is no sales tax, making them that much cheaper...

Now if only I had the money to buy more gear... :p My only complaint is that the choice of gear here is extrememly limited, with an entire wall dedicated to fender, and 1 wall for anything else they might have, I can still get some nice stuff for so much cheaper. :D
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Are you kidding me? Musicgearonline.com (who take their numbers from G&BBG) says $2595.
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Hong Kong prices are admirably low for certain Japanese-made instruments that are rare in the States, such as high end and custom Yamahas, Tunes, etc. Don't know about post-97, but when I was there, some nice stuff also washed in to Tom Lee from the UK and Europe, eg. Blade and Status. Everything else cost about as much as it did in the US.

You're right about the limited selection, though. Best bet is to go on a shopping spree in Japan. You're close enough, and there's no shortage of basses there.
  4. [​IMG] Ok, now I feel REALLY odd...
    Oh well.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just blind & stupid or something. I AM, afterall, in the lowest set of math in my grade... :p