1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Honor our gig our our band member?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Oh! Henry, Sep 4, 2008.

1. So we`re booked for a Gig this Saturday, it's our first gig with this lineup, and I get a Call from our Guitarist/Singer, that due to deeply personal problems he can`t make it to the gig. Since we're a trio there is no other option but to cancel the Gig.

So I get on the phone and try to find a replacement band, I get in touch with an old singer guitar player we used to play with who plays in a few other bands, and he suggests that He'll do the gig with us. Something I had not really thought of with such short notice. He dosn't really know our repertoir (Alt rock) but sais we can probably pull together 3 sets of rock and classic rock standards together along with a few from our repertoir for this Saturday.

I'm kind of in a bind, because we never really discussed subs with our singer and I don't feel now is the appropriate time to call him while he obviously need to be closse to his family right now, but I also don't want to let down the venue 2 days befor the gig!!!

Should we just do the gig with our sub and then let our singer know that we went ahead with the show, or do we talk to him about it, even though he could probably care less about music at this very moment? :help:

2. crazyguy832

crazyguy832

Dec 17, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Take the sub. It's a situation where your band's overall reputation is more important than your singer's possible hurt feelings.

He shouldn't take it personally, however.

3. BluezBassist

BluezBassist

Aug 5, 2004
    Do the gig with the sub. If this is your first gig with the club, pulling out in the week before a show will bring much bad karma your way. Your wayward vocalist should understand the whys for taking the gig.

Good luck with it, and let us know how it goes if you play.

4. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Even with his own situation going on, the singer probably feels bad for dropping you in it at the last moment. While he might have mixed feelings about being "replaced", he may be just as relieved that you've got the situation covered.

However I would make sure that he finds out in advance from you guys, rather than next week when someone at work tells them "his" band had dumped him. Depending on how bad his situation is you might want to let him have some involvement in the "discussion" - "XXX has offered to fill in for you so we can avoid pissing off the venue... if you're OK with that?". It'll take 30seconds and keep things sweet down the line.

A guy subs for me regularly, and I have no problem, but one time there was a gig I thought we shouldn't do - I told the drummer, who then "discussed" it with the rest of the band (after I'd left - I never discussed it with the other guys), and decided to get the sub in. I was really mad - not because I was sub'ed but because my opinion was disregarded, and they went behind my back.

5. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Music will happen. If he does like that you found a sub, he should make the gig. There is a reason that the phrase, "The show must go on" exists.

6. Yeah, me and the drummer have pretty much decided that the show will go on, I'm just wondering if we should talk to him right away, or tell him after the show when things will have settled down for him. I know he's a mature person, so I'm pretty sure he won't be upset at us. I'm just trying to figure out the best timing.

7. Sound like good advice.

8. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Never cancel a gig unless you are literally in the hospital. Reputations take years to build up and seconds to tear down. Any professional would understand calling in a sub - in fact, he'd not only expect it, but assist or (more likely) take charge in finding one. Goes with the territory of playing in a working band. Sorry to hear about your guitarist's problem and I hope things get figured out soon, but that's no excuse to cancel a gig.

Now, if it were a solo act, or a solo act with a backing band (where calling in a sub for the singer doesn't apply), that's different, but that doesn't sound like that's what you're talking about here. Even in those cases, though, unless you're in the hospital, do the gig.

9. You could always give yourselves a new name for the night and be the fill in band you found to take care of the problem. Don't do any of your bands original material and have a great time. You know for one night only "The Fill Ins". Then you haven't stepped on his toes, you still have a quality band for the venue, you get to play, and maybe you get a second band out of the deal. If the dude has issues big enough to miss the gig he probably won't mind.

H

10. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I love this solution. I feel you should tell your singer ASAP, rather than after the fact, but be sure to reassure him that he has nothing to feel threatened about.

11. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    This is a touchy subject, since you are only a trio and it seems like the singer's problems are not frivolous: he has a legitimate reason to not be there. Also, it is my experience that most bar owners will understand if you need to pull the plug on a gig because of family matters: those who don't are usually the sleazy ones, so I'll go a bit against Dave's opinion on this. It is true that respect takes years to obtain, but cancelling one gig because of very pressing matters does not shatter it (cancelling a gig because of another "better" one does, though). I know that if my mother was dying for example and we couldn't find a sub, I wouldn't strap on my guitar and try to tough it off. If the bar/venue owner can't understand that, he can say it to my face (and then get my fist in his). But since you found a sub, run with it.

Also, subbing a singer/guitarist in a trio is not the same as subbing the bassist or the drummer in a five piece band: the audience connects much more with the frontman, depending on the nature of the band. Thus, the idea of spoofing a "one-night" name and taking the sub for the gig is the best one. And by all means, inform your singer before he finds out.

12. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Are we talking about a cover band, or an original band?

13. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    tell the singer ASAP and take the gig. Make sure he understands that its just a sub gig and he has nothing to worry about.

14. Well, thanks for all your advice. I was gonna go with the different band name for the night suggestion, but in the end our sub just didn't have enough time with 2 days notice to learn 20 songs! Tried to book a second sub as well but it didn't work out either. I also did my best to try to find another band, but it was a bust as well. Looks like we have no choice but to cancel the gig. I hate doing it, Especialy since my/our reputation is very important to me, but at this point we really have no choice. I just hope the bar owner will understand and not spread the word on us too much!!

Oh well!!!