Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hook up a combo to a head&cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nirvanafan13, Jul 7, 2001.

1. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have a peavey TNT 115S combo amp and i am wondering if i can hook it up to a head and cab out of its "x-over" output... it is about a 300W head, or a 110W head. i wrote a tread about the output on the TNT and they said i could hook up a power amp and a cab to it, but will it work with a head instead?

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Actually, yes.

You can hook it up to other speakers (assuming its load isnt 4 ohms) and use it as the head, instead of adding one.

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Angus, the X-over isn't a powered output. It's just an X-over. Hooking a head into your "Power amp in" jack won't work effectively. You'll be adding another preamp. It'll just use the poweramp from the head rather then the poweramp in the combo, so you'll have accomplished very little. If you have a head and a cabinet, just use the head and cabinet. If you want to use your TNT, just buy a poweramp, and go with that.

4. Right...as I mentioned in your other post concerning this...the only way it can be done is by running out of the xover into another power amp. The Peavey TNT's do NOT have a powered external speaker output.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I guess I'm not really following the logic here. Is the intent to run your bass through a TNT 115S combo and also send the signal to another head/cabinet combination? If so, yes you can do that.

I don't see a xover listed on the current 115S spec sheet. If you want to go full range to a second amp/cab one way is with an XLR to 1/4" cable.

Another option is just as simple. Use the amp/cab as the primary amp and run a line out into the TNT.

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    No... I think he's trying to do the opposite, use the TNT's preamp, and the head's poweramp...

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    And why wouldn't that be possible?

He's asking if he can hook it up to a head and cab, out of a x-over. A x-over can drive an amp input as well as a power amp input.

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I think he's trying to say he wants to use the TNT's preamp though. I don't see how that'd be possible by hooking the head into the TNT and then the cab out of the TNT?

I think the only *decent* way to do this would be to buy a poweramp.

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    How about clarifying what you are trying to do?

:D

10. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I am trying to use the TNT 's 15" speaker for my lows and hook up a peavey head to a cab(2X10" and a tweeter) for my highs... ..

BUT WAIT.. i bet i can just go through my friend's chorus pedal (w/ two outputs) and hook up to both like that... would that hurt anything??

11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    You can't biamp an amp that isn't biampable. The TNT's not even really meant to have another cabinet hooked up to it.

12. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    what about using the chorus pedal?

13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No problem!
    Just hook up both amps to the pedal. They'll be both running fullrange though.

14. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    what do you mean they will be running fullrange?

15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Both amps will deliver the bull signal coming from the bass, as opposed to just highs or lows (biamping).

16. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    thats cool.. i'll just mess with the eq and tweak it until it's to my liking.. i thought you were talking about power... alright, well, that's probably what i'll do... thanks a lot everyone for posting and if anyone thinks i will have any kind of power problem by doing this please post.. Thanks,

Evan

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Okay, a BIG question...does your TNT have a crossover or not?

I didn't see it in the specs on Peavey's website but you mentioned it in your first post.

Since you mentioned a x-over, if there actually is one and your amp has an effects loop or preamp out/power amp in, yes, you can set up a biamp using the TNT and another head/cabinet. This hinges on whether or not you have a crossover (x-over).

So...do you?

If not you can still run the TNT and another amp/cab... without using a pedal.

18. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Not to be critical...
    but if you're talking about using a Y cable... That's not a very good idea, considering it splits your signal... which so fourth means it weakens your signal.

19. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I do not have the newest model.. i have the older one with the Chorus effect and an X-over output. the x-over output also has a knob that i guess changes the frequencies put out... but yes i do have a 1/4" x-over, not the XLR output like on the newest version....

so you are sayin i can hook up a head and cab to it , by sending a line out of the x-over output into the head?????

Evan