Hooked another 'Fish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigb, Jul 15, 2004.

1. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

After getting my Rumblefish P-J I just fell for the sound. And with the "different" ergonomics I felt I wanted another Fish so that I would use one all the time - I wanted to be able to have one at the office for lunchtime practice and one at home so I'd never be Fish-less. It may be counterproductive as far as versatility goes but the more I play on one bass (or one type of bass) the more comfortable I am "just playing" without having to look at my hands at all. While I wanted another P-J I found them scarce-to-nonexistant in the used market and J-J models weren't very plentiful either. So I finally pulled the trigger on an XL I had been watching on Instrument Exchange once it landed on Ebay. It's bugeye, the same as my P-J, which I was going to avoid but what the heck - I liked it enough to order that exact finish on my P-J.

It arrived yesterday and I haven't had time to do more than tune it up and give it a quick checkout through my cheap Dunlop headphone amp. Tonight when I get home I'll assemble the rig and give it an A-B comparison with my P-J. Unfortunately the strings seem pretty dead (no snap/twang at all on the G) and I don't have a replacement set I'd want to put on there so it won't be as useful a comparison as I'd like. I was thinking of grabbing some soundclips but may wait until I get some better strings to put on it (maybe some TI powerbass).

More to come later after I've tried it out through my rig & Raven Labs headphone amp to get a real feel for it.
  2. Cool :cool:

I like the colour options you chose..very cool basses indeed.
    I dig fish...Someone got a white one not long ago...i thought iw was really sweet as well.
  3. I'll be very interested in hearing your impressions. I have an XL and have been considering a PJ. I'm hooked on the sound of the XL in series mode and I suspect that the PJ will not be able to deliver anything I can't already get from my XL.
  4. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Jesus jumped up and played a Rumblefish, those are too cool.

I hadda sell my 5L but I'm keeping my Brad Houser. Now I'm motivated - I have to go play it for a while.

5. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Nice find, I recently rescued a white one from guitar center myself, and I am in love. those make quite a nice couple.
  6. Way to go, Craig! Now you're gettin' somewhere. What's the serial # on that XL? Just curious because I owned an identical one for about a year.
  7. Cool! I just snagged a white one, too. The nicest color combo, IMHO..
  8. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

XL serial# 02917-2

Jack, if your 5L had been a 4 I would have been after it. I like the dragonfly green.

Dave, your white with tortoise is a very nice combination. I like it better than the gold pickguards for sure.

I set up the rig and plugged it in and won't say much more about it today. The G string, even though it's a round, has less snap than the G string on my P-J. So I'd say those strings are deader than a doornail. I'll at least put on some new cheap strings this weekend and check it out. I'll try and reserve judgement until then (but right now it's heading for a standing offer to trade for a P-J).
  9. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    The one I rescued was a white with gold, which I totally dig. But I am thinking of getting a black or maybe a green pearloid one made in a few months.
  10. alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    yeah, I think I remember someone posting a picie of a white JJ Fish a while back. It was white with a gold scratchplate and a maple fretboard, the most fitting colours for a bass of this design imo. It looked like Elvis in a white jumpsuit with gold trim.

I believe Reverend arn't making this colour anymore. Anyone know if they do custom orders even if there arn't any 'spares' hanging around?

Also the XL an older model as I don't see it mentioned on the Reverend site?
  11. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    I totally love mine. Which is in Aged Yellow.

I would love to try a PJ, mine is a JJ. Wonderful sounding bass. Really.

I like how maroccan gold looks....
  12. No, they don't make the XL any more...I'm glad I have one! If you have questions about what they can or can't do or what materials they have, just call Joe. I think he's on vacation this week, though.
  13. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Well I put some new strings on the XL (cheap nickel rounds (Webstrings) .45-.105) and it came to life. So other than the pickup configuration the main differences right now are:

strings - OEM SIT .40-.100s on the PJ, Webstring .45-.105s on the XL

pickups - Reverend pickups on the PJ, unkown white Js with non-adjustable poles on the XL (so even the bridge pickup isn't the same between the two)

Given those differences, here are my comparison impressions:

You can tell they come from the same maker. The sound has a "family" characteristic in that there is clarity, evenness, growl and "air". The XL in series approaches the sound of the PJ - so they while they do some different sounds they overlap a bit in what they can do.

The P-J seems to have a bit more depth to it (and a different characteristic to the deepness, more of a thump/punch while the XL has a deep growl) and a bit more throatiness to the sound. It actually seems to have a touch more snap (may be the strings). The bridge pickup seems weaker than the XL but that may just be in comparison to the P pickup as the PJ seems to have a bit more output overall. The dual volumes give more flexibility in combining the pickups than the switch on the XL.

The XL gets plenty deep in series mode (it is addictive) but is more of a piano/growl deepness. For more growl move to parallel or bridge only (I think that's the final option). There's less bottom but more growl and snap. The switch and vol/tone make it more plug-and-play than the PJ.

Overall I personally like the P-J better, but the XL in series is a nice plug-and-play option. I was thinking about trading/selling the XL for another P-J but now with new strings on it I think I'll keep it since I like series mode (and will just leave it there) and think they complement each other and don't completely overlap sonically.

If someone offered me a P-J or XL in a different finish (that I liked) I'd probably go for it but I'm not going to seek out the trouble of swapping/selling/buying another. Besides, there's a good chance my wife won't notice that I have two basses that look almost the same ;)

Now maybe I'm safe from bass GAS for a while, at least until Reverend releases a Brad Houser 4-string (hmmph, I'm getting bloated just imagining it)
  14. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    nice comparison between the two! I have a 5L (same config as your xl) in blue, which i never play--i just don't like 5's--and it seems a much different beast weight, neck and balance-wise from the 4. I have an older (v-v-t) 4-fish in white/morracan gold. (i bought the 5 off ebay based on how much I love the 4). I considered having joe upgrade the 4 to the xl($35.00) but never did. I play w/ both pu's full, adjust the tone as desired. TI flats are incredible on a fish--smooth, punchy but still a bit of ring. I love the bug-eye finish you have. I'd like to see them make a brad houser 4 in bug!!!!!
  15. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Well, I lied. I had money burning a hole in my pocket and I went ahead and did the "swap". Now I've got a different type of twins (same model, different colors). Black on black goes with everything . . .

16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

Does Reverend make maple-necked basses? I've only seen rosewood fingerboards so far.
  17. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Yep, maple is an option. I've seen some nice pics of aged white/maple Rumblefish (among others, but those are the ones that stick in my mind).
  18. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    yes they do. Their is a maple one current on ebay i want to snag, but cant justify it right now.
  19. I've never seen a black Rumblefish before, but I must say I like it. Good catch!

And yes, Blackbird, you can order a maple fretboard from Reverend if you so fancy. There's even a few available at http://www.reverenddirect.com/reverend/instock_specials.html :eek: At a very good price. Yet again, I find that I'm very lucky not to be living in the States.