Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hooking 100 watt tube music man head into peavey firebass head to biamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CrawlingEye, Jul 9, 2001.

1. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I have a Peavey Firebass head, and a Music Man '71 100 watt all tube head, and 2 cabs (1x15 and 4x10+horn)

now, people were talking about doing more or less the same thing to the Peavey TNT combo... so I'm assuming it's doable with the Peavey firebass head...

But... how do I go about this?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The basic bi-amp rig is preamp-crossover<2 power amps. You need a crossover to split the signal between the preamp and power amp. Does your MM have any sort of preamp out or effects loop? Typically stuff of that vintage doesn't, so I am not really sure how you are going to do it.

You could preamp with the Firebass' preamp, but that would sort of defeat the point of having a nice tube amp.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What you can do is hook each amp to one(!) cab.
    When you use a Y-cable or a stereo pedal, e.g. a stereo chorus, in front of both amps, you can split your bass signal and send it into both amps simultaneously.
    But both amps will get a fullrange signal, this is not biamping.

bass
    |
    stereo chorus---->amp 2/cab 2 (e.g. MM tube/4x10)
    |
    amp 1
    |
    cab 1 (e.g. Firebass/1x15)

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    No, my Firebass has a crossover. That's the preamp I wanna use... although, I'm not really quite sure how this is gonna work...

Hook the speaker out of the MM head into the Poweramp in of the firebass, and just run it like that?

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    CrawlingEye,

You'd do the same thing as posted in the TNT thread, substituting your MM for the amp/cabinet combo he had.

Here's one basic biamp setup:

Run the lows through the Firebass into the 1-15 cab

Run the highs through the Musicman into the 4-10 cab

Here's how (and remember, keep the levels low when first testing, no point in blowing anything up;). Set the power off when connecting the cables):

1. From the crossover on the Firebass, connect a cable from the low range output of the crossover to the power amp input. Connect the 1-15 to the speaker out on the Firebass. Set the volume where desired...you should only hear lows coming from the 1-15.

2. From the crossover on the Firebass, connect a cable from the high range output of the crossover to the instrument input on the MM. Connect the 4-10 to the speaker out on the MM. Adjust the MM volume to compliment the Firebass.

You'll find that, once you get the lows pumping, you don't have to bring the highs up very much to match it.

Adjust the crossover to set the appropriate amount of lows to the Firebass and highs to the MM.

Let me know if this makes sense. There are a few other options, like running both amps and cabs full range using the line out on the Firebass to the MM instrument input; running the 1-15 full range and rolling off the low end on the 4-10 using the crossover (the higher you set the frequency on the crossover the less lows will go out of the high range output).

You typically use your lower powered amp for the highs.

There's more but... give that a shot and see if it works for you. You have several options with what you have.

*very Important* make sure the impedance of your 4-10 is suitable for the MM head. I don't recall if it can operate with a 4 ohm cabinet.

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    It can operate, it goes with 4 or 8 ohm cabs, and I wouldn't want to run them both fullrange, the idea of this is to see how a biamped rig sounds, if it sounds good, I'll consider buying a poweramp and leaving it biamped.

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Brad, I think you're right on all the other stuff, but this one recommendation looks iffy to me. What coming out of the crossover is going to be a *line level* signal, and I don't think you want that going into an *instrument level* input. Seems to me that could lead to a fairly pronounced level mismatch and probably more distortion than you'd want.

If the Music Man has a power amp input on the back, or maybe an effects return, that's probably where the highs from the crossover should go, don't you think?

8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I don't think the signal coming out of either the high or low outs on the Firebass are line-level. That's why you need a seperate power amp to use the Firebass's crossover. What is Peavey's problem? Why not make that big boy with two seperate power amps, so you only need that one amp to bi-amp your rig? Not enough money in it for them, I guess.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I agree, Richard...and I considered that. I don't recall the older MM heads having effects or preamp out/power amp in loops. I also don't remember whether it had a padded input.

That's why I recommended checking this out at low volume. With the Firebass it has a control for balancing the crossover output. With this he wouldn't have to send too hot a signal to the MM to match the levels.

If he starts at low volume, I think it'll be obvious if it's overdriving, just by gradually increasing the volume.

Nonetheless, very good point.