hooking 2 amps together

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by z4knerd, Dec 31, 2005.

1. z4knerd

Jul 1, 2004
    I recently expiremented with my 2 combo amps...

1 is a hartke 30 watt bass amp and the other is a drive 120 watt bass amp (both combo amps) and this is what i did...

i plugged my bass into the 30watt amp, and then plugged a cord into the "line out" of that amp and into one of the inputs of the 120 watt amp so i could use both at the same time.

I am not very knowledgeable about amps, speakers and such, so I would appreciate any information about this little setup I made - am I in danger of blowing out a speaker? is this a good way to get more sound? just some questions

thanks in advance,
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I think that should work fine, as long as the output is as you say a "line out" if it says "speaker out" or "ext speaker" DON'T.

YOU COULd set the volumes on both amps and use your guitar volume to turn both up and down.
  3. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Dear z,
    That's not the best way to do it. Try plugging the line out of your smaller amp into the EFFECTS RETURN of the second amp. This is assuming the second amp as a 'send/return' effects loop. There are two reasons for this:
    1) The line out signal may be too 'hot' for the input of the second amp and may cause distortion.
    2) You don't really want to eq the signal twice. This process will bypass the eq section of your larger amp (which is basically what effect loops do and give you a more natural signal.

I learned all this crap from hooking up Marshall stacks together during the metal 80's.
    Now go forth & make some noise in 2006 & post back of you have any ?'s.
  4. This is true but if you don't have an effects loop you can do what you are doing. Just make sure you set the gain on the second amp appropriately(sp).
  5. I think this is debatable. Depending on how the amps sound together he may want to EQ twice.
  6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I personally would not do this with bass amps but you will probably be ok if you keep the levels very low.

Instrument level is usually 2-3V p-p max. Line level is usually 2V p-p *minimum* (0 dBu). 20V p-p is perfectly normal.

However, because bass amps have to deal with very hot active basses (some up to 8V p-p) it will probably handle a low level line out.

Depending on the amps, keep the gain way down on the first amp. Note it probably has to be the gain, the volume will probably not affect the line out.

If the second amp has a effects loop, that is a safe solution. In fact, I test my preamps by running them into the effects return of my bass amp.