Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hooking another Speaker to Direct Out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cola_klinks, Jun 10, 2005.

1. cola_klinks

cola_klinks

May 29, 2005
    Yes, its me again. You guys have given me a lot of great advice and I'm getting a really sweet sound from my rig. GK 1001RB II /PR 410HLF Ampeg/ BC Rich Eagle - old school 80's. I have the 4 ohm speaker hooked up and I am loud enough with power to spare. However, when we play live without a PA system for us all, can I get a female XLR to female 1/4 and run the Direct output through a patch cable to an 8 ohm 15" for our drummer or to the other side of the stage? Or will this cause problems? With a PA of course this won't be necessary because the DI will be used by the mixer. What do you guys think?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can't hook up a speaker to a DI out, since it only delivers a (symmetric) line level signal.

3. The Direct Out is a low level signal not a 'speaker' level signal. You would have to amplify the Direct Out signal.

4. cola_klinks

cola_klinks

May 29, 2005
    Okay, well that answers that now doesn't it. Thanks.

5. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    As everyone said, that won't work as you've stated it..

You can use it to send a signal to a powered monitor, practice amp, or hot spot.

6. cola_klinks

cola_klinks

May 29, 2005
    Yeah, I have an old sure mixer that I was going to use from the DI to the cab...I'll post back how it works. We have a show in a couple weeks. Thanks again.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Unless that mixer contains a poweramp it still won't work.

8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    +1.

As it's been said, the Direct Out signal is unpowered. It's just a line-level signal coming from the Pre-amp section of your Head.

To drive a Cab, you need a stronger signal. Powered monitors aren't too expensive. Powered Hot-spots are small, around $140, and sound great for monitoring.

9. cola_klinks

cola_klinks

May 29, 2005
    Thanks again, you guys have now thwarted two potentially embarrassing situations for me...people might actually start to think I know what I'm doing. This site kicks!

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I personally don't feel that Hot Spots are a good choice for bass. They only are good down to 150 Hz at best. For an inexpensive alternative install one of these in that spare cab:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-797