Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hooking my Record Player to my stereo is being less than stereo

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Uh, for some reason, when I hook my record player (old old old) to my girlfriend's (meh... kinda old) stereo, it only plays out of one speaker. BuUUuuUuUut, when I unplug it just a little bit, it plays out of both speakers, but the sound quality drops very very much. So, what's up with this? I have this problem when recording into my computer, I need to unplug it a little bit from the line in in order to get a stereo recording. :meh:

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    weird...my headphones on my walkman do this too.....i'm going to hang around and find an answer to this.

for the record....i thought it had something to do with the cable....there are different kinds, and you have to use the right one....something about TRS i think.

-Mike

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm speaking in non tech terms but: The first chord is a "headphone extention chord" the other is a headphone (female) end that turns into a AV hook up.

So it's record player, chord one, chord two, Aux in (stereo)

4. Not really a Tech head myself but is the cable your using have 2 or 3 sections on the plug. By this i mean the plug is seperated by little plastic rings down its length. 2 setions is a mono plug, 3 is stereo, 4 is for some video cameras and such.

Also when you unplug it a little bit are you getting true stereo, ie can you test it with a song with a distinctive left and right channel. (the beatles have a few songs you could use or my fave is an anthrax song which goes "left, right, left right" :))

Also does your stereo output stereo on that plug. Mine is old and only outputs mono, (it does have and "8+8" plug that says stereo ???? though)

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    hmmm... well the AV chord is just two sections. And I'm pretty sure it's true stereo when I unplug it a bit... Yes, it is, I remeber now.

6. If it is true stereo then I guess your output plug is buggered.

A thought occurred to me yesterday. Does your turntable have detachable speakers? If so you could go to your local electronic parts sales place (Radio Shack?, if you were in Australia I'd say Dick Smiths :)) and get some speaker wire and plugs so you could take the output straight off the speakers.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    hmmm, that reminds me, for some reason, the speakers won't play stereo though. One of the speaker jacks is blown too. :meh: in need a new turntable. :(

8. I'd say so :D

9. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I consistently find old turntables at yard sales and flea markets for $3 or less. Check out a junk store or something. Shouldn't be too hard to find. It's easier than trying to fix the problem you're having I'd imagine.

Jake

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    At work (The Campus library) they often just throw stuff out. And there are 20 awesome modern turntables that they are probably throwing out... but there is this whole system I have to dodge around to get them. I'm hoping I catch one (or more) on the way out.