Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hooking up 2 cabinets to a head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr. Gone, Mar 20, 2002.

1. A quick question about hooking up 2 8ohm cabinets to a head. Is there any difference between hooking up one cabinet to each speaker output on the head as opposed to hooking up one cabinet to the head and then hooking the 2nd cabinet to the 1st cabinet? In other words if the head is 600W at 4ohms what would the load and wattage be for each setup or is it essentially the same? :confused:

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Welcome to TB,

If you connect 2 8 ohm cabs, you´ll be fine, because the resultant impedance (ohms) will be 4 ohm which is the maximum impedance of your amp.

I´m not really sure about connecting ´em in series (the second cab to the first), maybe the impedance remains in 8 ohms, but the amp doesn´t have enough power to run both cabs...... I don´t really know

3. Thanks, I think you just answered my question. I want to get a 4 ohm load to get the most out of the head so I'll just hook up one cab to each speaker output. Thanks! :)

4. arfur

arfur

Nov 26, 2001
    London, UK
    If you daisy chain two cabs you are actually connecting them in parallel so the impedance will be 4 ohms.

5. arfur

arfur

Nov 26, 2001
    London, UK
    Unless of course your talking about a stereo head. In which case connecting one 8 ohm cab to each side of the head will result in each side seeing 8 ohms.

6. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Good point.... What amp do you own???? That could help us help you :D

7. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    mr. gone, you have the carvin r600 head, I just got one so im still reading the manual, they suggest when in the bridged mode to hook the head to one cab, then daisy-chain from that cab to the other. That will give you 4 ohms and your full 600 watts.

George

8. I actually have an Ashdown ABM500 (just sold the Carvin), which is not a stereo head. Thanks!