Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hooking up a cab.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by whofan, Jun 29, 2001.

1. whofan

whofan

Jun 29, 2001
    hi,
    i've never owned or touched anything other than what i have now (crate bx15, MIJ fender precision). we just picked up a carvin 2x10 cabinet at a garage sale for a really good price. i want to run it from my crate bx15's power amp (we're picking up a scrappy ampeg head next week).

what kind of cable do i use to hook them up? XLR?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I am not sure your Crate will have a speaker out on it. If it does, you can use a regulat 1/4" SPEAKER cord. Don't use a guitar cable.

Chas

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    whofan,

This should work OK. Your Crate BX15 will drive a 4 ohm load so whether the cab is 4 or 8 ohms you're all set. It will disconnect the internal speaker automatically.

Be careful pushing the amp hard, with only 12 watts you'll probably get into clipping pretty easily and that could damage the Carvin speakers, especially the tweeter.

Use a speaker cord NOT a guitar cord.

4. whofan

whofan

Jun 29, 2001
    thanks...exactly what i needed to know.

this will definitely not be a long term thing, it's just one of those "i HAVE to try this" sorta thing. i'll be running the cab with a much more powerful ampeg later on.