1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hooking up a sampler to an amp...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by werbo1, Aug 24, 2007.

1. I wasn't sure if this is the right section for this to go in, but it seemed like the best fit. (or Amps)

I'm going to purchase a Roland SP-404 sampler for sampling (obviously) and making beats and what not.

The only thing is, it doesn't have a 1/4" output, it has a Left and Right RCA out, or a headphone jack.

What can i do to connect the sp-404 to an amp with 1/4" ouput? Are there RCA to 1/4" converters or should I just use the phones jack as an output?

Thanks

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are RCA-1/4" converter cables, and that's what you should use. The headphone jack output will be too hot (although it probably has a headphone volume control). Either way, you will want to pan all of your signals "hard left" or "hard right", so you get a mono output.

3. Thanks, thats what i figured!

Second question if anyone can answer me this...If i want to use stereo output and hook it up to my laptop, do I just use the line-in on my laptop? Thanks.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Depends on whether your laptop's line-in is a stereo or mono jack. But aside from that, yes you should be able to connect the sampler directly to your computer's audio input.