Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hooking up a sansamp RBI?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B8ssMan89, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Hello once again.
    WHen I get my Ashdown MAG300H I want to get a SandAMP RBI pre-amp by Tech 21 later in the summer. And I was wondering, how would I hook it up? I'm guessing it would hook up to the ashdown right? please enlighten me

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    why do you want the sans amp anyhow???

do you already have the ashdown??

anyhow, there are a couple of options. you could plug into the rbi and then plug the output into the front input of your ashdown, thus using the rbi preamp into the ashdown preamp into the ashdown poweramp. or you could plug the output of the rbi into the poweramp in or effects return of the ashdown, thus bypassing the preamp of the ashdown entirely.

if you're just looking to use the sans amp as tonal coloration and for distortion, why not just use a sans amp bass driver? you can plug into that and then into the ashdown and then turn the bass driver on and off with a footswitch. The BDDI will give youthe same sound as the RBI and be a lot more convenient to use (floor pedal vs a rackmount peice that you have to by a rack for)

3. Yeah... I saw the Bass Driver after I saw the RBI :D

4. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ahhhh good

i think you'll be much happier with that

FWIW, the bass driver doesn't have as "hot" of an output as an rbi, which means it won't give you a preamp level signal if you plug it straight into the effects return or poweramp input of an amp. it will still work, but it wont be as loud as it could be.

anyhow, i use a bass driver all the time and consider it a great unit. it gives me an extra bunch of tones to play with, including some pretty convincing "almost an svt" tones.

5. Would I use a reg. instrument cable for the DI? I dont wonna blow anything up :D

6. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yep, the sans amp di should be treated just like an effect pedal in that regard.

now, in order to send a di typoe signal to a board or pa you'll need a mic cable. more than likely your ashdown will also have a balanced di out that takes a mic cable as well. you may not ever need to use either of them, if you do just experiement to see which sounds better.