Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hooking up a single bass to multiple amplifiers...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by White_Knight, Jul 25, 2001.

1. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Hi all, just had a quick question here.
    I own both a Crate BX-100 and a SWR Workingman's 10 and I'm looking to play/use both of them at the same time with a single bass. Now, I could obviously run a cable from the effects send of one to the effects receive of another or from the send on one to the input of the other. However, either way the effects send is post EQ/gain, etc. which I don't want. So I'm looking for a way to connect my bass to two seperate amplifiers without causing any loss in tone. I've looked into splitter cables, but can't seem to find one that will work well (most are too short since I don't want this big mass of cords hanging down from my bass). Most of the gear that I find that would work (basically a single female input to two male outpus) is stereo, which I also don't want - plus won't I compromise my tone if I just hook up two cables to the same bass? So I guess I'm just looking for some sort of little powered device that will have a single input and a minimum of two outputs on it that doesn't cost much. Any suggestions? Or is there any way that I can run my BX-100 off of my Workingman's 10's tuner our jack without getting any hum (I don't want to use a ground lifter plug and don't want to cut the shielding on my cables unless I have to)? Thanks in advance.

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I would suggest a Morley ABY pedal. It should be a good, fairly cheap, solution to your problem. Plus, they're good to have around when things like this come up. :)

Here's a link to the pedal on Morley's site:

http://www.morleypedals.com/daby.htm

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    couldn't you also put the line out on the amp to the input of the other amp? i'm not sure. I've never done that before.

4. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    That actually does work, but, depending on the quality of the amps, there could be a pretty bad hiss when you go to higher volumes. This also might make the bass play in stereo, which White_Knight doesn't want (for whatever reason :confused: ). I personally think this method works pretty good with my Warwick CCL hooked to the Peavey Minx 110. I'd reccomend trying it, and if it sucks, don't use it anymore :).

-FSR

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I'd get an ABY pedal like a Morley or a Whirlwind. I don't know if they color your sound at all but it wouldn't be too hard to get to a music shop and try one out. They aren't too expensive either ($50-60).

6. Any pedal that will run A, B, or A+B will do. Also a small mixer like a Behringer MX602A will work, just send left out to one amp and right out to the other.

7. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    First of all, thanks for all the replies. Second of all, the reason that I don't want to run my bass in stereo is because I can't: my bass isn't stereo and neither are my effects loops - so it's just not possible. Yes, I can run mono, but then I run into ground loops and such that are an annoyance to me, and plus since the effects loops are post EQ, that means that the EQ'd signal from one amp is going into the other - I'm wanting to use seperate EQ settings on each amp. I think the Morley sounds like a great option so I'll look into that. Thanks everyone!