1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hooking up amps/cabs. Bridged, Stereo...confused..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Jan 6, 2006.

  1. spectorbass83


    Jun 6, 2005
    Please pardon my ignorance, but is there any way I can get a clear description of all the different ways you can hook up a head to a cab? I always see the terms "mono bridged", "bridged stereo" being thrown around and am not 100% what they mean. I know somebody can shed some light on this.
  2. David Vega

    David Vega

    Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    i will tell about my SVT4PRO:

    SVT4 have 2 power amps at the output stage, so you can run some stereo set up like effects in one channel, clean the on the other. The term stereo sometimes refer to use the effects loop connection usung a stereo effect processor.

    Dual mono is just running the 2 amps with full range speaker on each output channel.

    Bridge is just connect the 2 internal amplifier together to have its maximum power. it is recommended to use speakon cables for this due to the high power. also, if you use a speakon cable, the end that connect the amp have a diferent wiring that the one that goes on the cab. beware of the output and the cab, make sure the cab can handle the high power on bridge mode.

    Also, watch out the impedances of the cab and amp, must be the same, cab and amp.

    the term bridge stereo never heard of it. but if somebody knows, explain to learn something new

    just my 2 cents
  3. Dan1099

    Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

    Aug 7, 2004
    Bridged and Parallel and Stereo refer to amps with two power amps in them. Bridged is basically ganging the two amps together into one "super amp." This pushes a lot of wattage, but only one channel. Parallel is sending the same signal to two amps, each to a different cab. Stereo is sending a different signal to each cabinet. This is used in biamping, or in creating a stereo field, i.e. a "left signal" and a "right signal."
  4. IvanMike

    IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

    Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    no time to post the link.

    for a good and long read you could go to the "check here before asking" sticky at the top of amps and then look for the link for "ohms and impedance...."

    that will give you a bit more info

    also the link to the talk bass FAQ (in the sticky) by jorgis should be helpful
  5. Mcrelly


    Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Dan has a good description above.

    to clarify a stereo amp is ALSO good for when you have two cabinets with drastically different performance specs. lets say cabinet a is a 110 with a sensitivity of 98db, and cabinet B is a 410 with a 104db sensitivity. if you hook up both cabs to a mono or parallel amp output (one wire to each speaker from mono amp) the higher sensitivity speaker will sound louder and possibly drown out the lower sensitivity speaker.

    a stereo amp will have "gain" control for each side of the amp, this way you can balance the volumes. you don't have to use stereo signal on a stereo amp, but you usually can daisy chain (run one wire from input one to input two) the input signals. I have two types of input on each channel of my stewart amp. I have 1/4" TRS and XLR. I can run a 1/4" from my preamp into input one on the amp, then use a xlr to 1/4" cable to the other input.

    hope I was clear.
  6. AxtoOx


    Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    If you still have questions, let us know what kind of amp you have. Maybe one of us has of has had one.