1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hooking up and amp to a combo amp. Can this be done?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crow01, Sep 24, 2008.

1. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    I posted this in the recording forum, but I think the issue is more related to the actual amp.

Anyways, the question is the following.

I would like to hook up an amp (solid state), to a combo amp.

The amp has 2 inputs, 1 for a guitar and 1 for a vocal mic. Then I would like to connect the output to the back of a combo amp (that says external speaker 4ohm min).

Then from the combo amp, plug in the headphones to listen to the mix.

The amp might be 200 watts or less, the combo amp is 50 watts.

Will I damage any equipment if I do this?

(The reason to do the above is for recording purposes)

2. Yes, the way you suggest - don't.

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I don't know. What exactly are you trying to do? Give us the entire signal chain you're envisioning.

It SOUNDS like you want to plug your bass into the input on the front of the amp head, come out of an output on the back of that amp into the speaker jack of the combo? That's BAD. Don't hook two amps' outputs to each other because you'll toast both of them.

jte

4. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    Why would you want more power if you're recording????? I seriously don't understand why anyone would want to do what you're suggesting just to record.

Either mic the combo or if the combo has a DI out, go into the mixing board with that. The mixing board should have headphone outputs so you can hear the mix.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to that. The spkr jack is an OUTPUT, not an input.

6. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    This is a question somebody asked about recording, so I heard or read on a magazine this could be done. Maybe I didn't hear it correctly.

They have limited equipment and are trying to record drums. The recording equipment only allows 2 inputs. So those are set for the drummer mics

The drummer can only be on time on the song, when the guitar and vocals are in the room.

So yes, ideally and how I have done is with a recorder that has 4 channels, put the drummer in a room with a window and the rest on another room looking at the drummer. All with headphones and headphone amps. But obviously this is not the case.

So the real big question is, how do you record a drummer, when you only have 2 inputs, and cannot record the rest of the group?

Thats why that idea came up:
    - Wire the guitar and vocals through a combo amp, connect headphones and give this to the drummer
    - That way he can track the drums, without noise coming out of the guitar or the vocals
    - So unless they have a combo amp with 2 inputs and headphone output.

But now that I think about it, with all the noise the drummer is going to make, the guitar won;t hear anything unless he has headphone amps.

So I will rule out, the connecting amp with the combo amp. It is true you are connecting 2 output together, that sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

I have done this with pro equipment with more than 4 channels. But this guy is in the Ukraine, so I dont know if he is limited to equipment or recording in a studio costs a lot.