hooking up bmax compared to svp pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smitcat, Dec 6, 2004.

1. smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    ok, im a little new into the pre/power setup. I am going between the ampeg svp pro, and the bmax ss. I like the bmax price a little better, since im low on cash.
    but anyways, i noticed that the bmax has one preamp out on the back, compared to the ampegs 2. is that going to have any difference if i want to bridge the connection from the power to the cabs? I am going to go with the qsc 850. Ive got to 8 ohm ampeg cabs, and id like to get the most power out of it that i could.
  2. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Hi, all you need is one 1/4" preamp out that goes into channel one of the power amp. If you "bridge" the power amp you just use channel one to control gain and channel two is zero. If you want to run each channel (e.g. one cab per channel) then set the amp for parallel. Still you only need one preamp out connection into channel one.

I tried the Bmax recently in a store. The bass I was using had dead strings on it (of course!). But still the Bmax didn't floor me. I did like the sonic maximizer. It's hard to tell anything in a store anyway, so I can't really form an opinion about it. I have to use stuff with my own gear before I can saying anything 100%.

Now the SVP I've used quite extensively. Its a great all-around pre for rock and metal especially. The tubey-ness of mine really comes out when it has been running for hours. Like yesterday, we had a 7 hour rehearsal (not playing the WHOLE time lol) and by the end I was getting nice warm tube sound even with the completely drive off since the unit was so warm. Nice sounding pre!

The biggest difference I would guess between the two is the BMax will be cleaner sounding and have less pronounced mids.