Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hooking up cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HardRockBassMan, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Sorry if the answer to this question is painfully obvious:

If I set my power amp to run in bridged mode, which gives 1000 watts @ 4 ohms. Then run my two 8 ohm cabinets in series (daisychain) am I going to get 500 watts going into each cabinet?

Again, sorry if it disturbs anyone that I don't know the answer.

2. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    Nope...

That's the short answer.

If you run your cabs in parallel you will get 500w to each cab, because of the 4 ohm load. If you ran it in series, your total impedence (ohm load) would equal 16 ohms. The power supplied to them would only be 600w maximum. (300w max to each cab.) Most likely less.

The way to figure out impedence is.

Parallel - Cab1(ohms) X Cab2(ohms) divided by Cab1(ohms) + Cab2(ohms)

Example: 1 8ohm cab, and 1 4ohm cab = 2.67ohms
    8 X 4 = 32 8 + 4 = 12 32/12 = 2.67

Series - Add the impedences

3. OK ace, bear with me here:

I should take the amp out of bridging mode and run the cabinets in parallel. According to the manufacturer, this will give me 350 watts per channel into a 4 ohm load.

This is probably the most efficient setup right?

That's what I'm going for here, efficiency. I've got a 1000 watt amp and I want to get the most out of it.

4. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I posted that in your other thread already, but I state it here too (for other readers):

If you daisy chain 2 cabs with a regular speaker cable they are still wired in parallel!

This way each cab will see 500W with the Carvin in bridged mode.

Supposed the Carvin puts out 200W@8Ohm per side in stereo mode, each cab would see 200W.

(2x350W@4Ohm means that the amps puts out 350W per side if a 4Ohm load is hooked up to each side. Since your cabs are rated 8Ohms you have to look at the 2x???@8Ohm rating. Sorry for my English, I hope this makes sense)

Matthias

BTW: Why do you post the same question in two different threads? That's a bit annoying.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I think you're confused about what wiring in parallel and series means. If you daisychain the two cabs off the bridged input, they're *not* in series, they're still in parallel. Exactly as Matthias said. So if you daisychain two 8 ohm cabs off the bridged output, the total load is 4 ohms, and each cab will get 500 W. If you run one cab off each side, that's not really parallel but stereo, or rather, dual mono. Essentially there are two amps, and you're assigning one speaker to each amp. And no, in that case you would not get 350 W per channel, because your cabs are 8 ohm, not 4 ohm. It would probably be more like 225 or 250.