1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

hooking up my new toy

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by inyopocket, Mar 10, 2008.

1. inyopocket

inyopocket

Mar 10, 2008
    hello.. 1st post on this site. Welcome Me!!

i picked up a mexican fender jazz for next to nothing a while back, i loved the color and they guy was desperate.

anyway, the bass sounds really empty; standard factory hardware, etc.

I've always had my instruments worked on by others and I want to fix this one up myself.

I'm looking at replacing the bridge, pick-up's, and anything else I can do. The 2 basses i currently use are a modulus which has the pickups came with it & a stuart spector which has the emg-hz that came with it. I'm looking for that classic fender jazz sound with this bass. I'm looking to do all of the labor and I have @ $500 to spend.

how would you fix this thing up? I'm just looking for suggestions. I've never done a project like this and I'am learning as I go.

thanks in advance!

2. get a set of good pickups, I like DiMarzios model J, but that is no classic sound, get a set of the Custom shop 60s Fender set or Nordstrand J set, should run you about 150-160. And give it a try, I would not even worry with the bridge yet at this point. You may need to buy some good pots also such as CTS or Alpha in the 250K values

3. dbcandle

dbcandle

Jan 30, 2008
    +1

I'm sticking with the factory pups (MIM Jazz), but if I was to do anything, I'd stop with the Custom Shop 60s, then think about a little professional fretwork (or tools to do it myself).

4. I'd recommend that you stop and consider some things before you do anything.

There is nothing wrong with the bridge, pickups or tuners on an MIM Jazz. All of these pieces are eminently serviceable and millions of users (including me) like them just fine. There may, however, be something wrong with your expectations.

The other two basses you have (if I'm not mistaken, and I may be) both use active pickups. The Jazz does not. The other basses are also very different in construction and materials. As a result, you're going to get a sound from that Jazz that's very different than either of the other basses.

In computer terms, you may possibly be mistaking this for a bug, when it's actually a feature! You may simply be used to hearing something other than the sound of a Jazz bass when you play. If so, you need to learn what that sound is and get used to it before changing anything.

I have no clue (and neither does anyone else here) what "empty" means. You need to get a LOT more specific about what aspects of the sound you find lacking. But throwing new parts in with as little information as you provided isn't likely to solve your perceived problem.

FIRST, you need to do a complete setup on the bass so that you know it sounds like it's supposed to - whatever that is. And you might consider installing your favorite strings, since IMO strings make more difference in sound than any other factor.

SECOND, when you're used to what that Jazz is supposed to sound like, you may consider making changes. IMO the bridge does not need to be one of them, as there's nothing wrong with a stock Fender bridge. But if different pickups lie in your future - as an educated decision, not as simply throwing parts at it - then so be it.

But at this point, doing anything other than a setup and strings makes no sense to me whatsoever.
    :cool:

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Exactly. It's very easy to blow $500 and still not be happy if you don't know exactly what you're trying to achieve. Strings and a good setup make a world of difference.

6. inyopocket

inyopocket

Mar 10, 2008
    thanks, i'm new to this site and have been reading more and more. I also have been talking with other bass players and they all agree... the setup is what i should focus on, of course, it's the 1 thing i don't feel comfortable doing myself.

i'll bump this when i'm done and let you all know the results... thanks again