Hooray, 1st post, but need advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scottie Johnson, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    So, I decided to register since I've been lurking and I like what is going on in here. This place is really classy. ok, now that the brown-nosing is over, I need to ask a question:

What are your opinions of putting a fender style pickup cover on my G&L asat. I am thinking of covering the first humbucker, and I just think that it would look good. The bridge is really big and chrome and already looks great, so won't be covering it. Also, I don't play directly over the front pickup, it's either back by the bridge or right at the end of the neck, like Geezer Butler. I am thinking about trying to fasten it with suction cups instead of screws, because then if I don't like it, there won't be holes.

And by the way, my asat is butterscotch blonde w/ matching headstock and gun oil neck tint and vintage G&G case. I've had her since January, and she is definately a keeper. I highly recommend G&L.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, the suction cup idea would make the thing a bit unstable and prone to coming loose at inopportune moments. Just put it on the bass and see what you think of it looks wise before you attatch it permanently. You could also, if it has a pickguard, put it on with thin double stick tape like they use for putting plastic on windows. That stuff is pretty solid, and when you want to take it off, just pull it off and use goo gone, goof offf, or lighter fluid to remove the sticky stuff. If you do it directly on the paint, you risk pulling off some of the finish with it.
  3. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    yeah, two sided tape would probably work better, but come on guys, do you think it would look good? Has anyone done any mods to their basses like this, just for looks?
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think that might look really cool. give it a shot, and be sure to post some pics. :hyper:
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass!:cool:

I think it would look cool. But if I were you, I would go with the double sided tape recommendation for a couple of weeks, and make sure you like it.
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Sounds really freakin' swank! Take pics.

Double sided tape should do great.
  7. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Thank guys, I'm glad to hear some feedback. As soon as i get access to a digital camera I'll get some before and after pics.
  8. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Look foward to seein' 'em.

And welcome to TalkBass!
  9. freakbass

freakbass "Pile-drivingly Heavy" since 1983

Welcome to TalkBass! I'm guessing your bass would look something like this...
  10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    ...so no, I don't think his bass would look like that.

EDIT: I think this is a little closer:
  11. freakbass

freakbass "Pile-drivingly Heavy" since 1983

you're right. I really should pay more attention.
  12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    We all have our blonde moments...I had two today :eek: .

EDIT: Make that three.
  13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Go ahead and make that three. :D
  14. raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    I think it would look sweet :)
  15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders