Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hooray for 2" tape!!!!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Ian Hall, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    Check out these mp3's my band just did on 2" tape- The studio charged $275 for nine hours including engineer, and mixing- we had the tape already so we got away with a steal of a deal on two songs. The bass tone is nice but my playing is a little dirty because we recorded two days after I got my new bass(MTD grendel) and I didn't have time to go over a couple little screwups. Nobody other than some bass players notice anyways so guess that's life- enjoy and let me know what you guys think...

http://www.headchangeband.com/MP3/High/Destiny.mp3

http://www.headchangeband.com/MP3/High/Imagine.mp3

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    2" tape rules. I once recorded with a butt rock band I was in a whole 10 song album on 2" tape on a Studer 32 track analopg machine. Nice gear. :)

Your recording sounds way better than mine did. Sounds great actually, I like it. That's a grendel, huh? Nice sounding bass, nice playing. Nice tone!:bassist:

3. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    Thanks, I am really happy with the bass- I am also really happy with how fast Mike Tobias personally answers all of his emails :) It sounds like that with the eq set flat on the bass, pickups blended 50/50 with mid switch in the center position, and mild processing from my Sansamp RBI. It was the first recording that I've done with my RBI, and the first recording I've done with the Grendel, and I'm very happy with both.

I think where 2" really shines is recording cymbals- just takes that edge off of 'em. I love for everything else, too. It was really nice because we recorded on the tape and then dumped on to hard drive so editing was a cinch- we're going back to do more as soon as we can.

4. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    Anyone else get a chance for a listen?