Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hooray for absent minded goodwill donators...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jon223, Feb 29, 2004.

1. SWEET!
    I just wore my newest GW coat (a wicked tan checked blazer) for the 1st time. Paid 6 bucks for it.
    i noticed there was something heavy in the pocket and guess what. The fella that donated it forgot to take his 14 KARAT GOLD TIE CLIP out of the pocket!! Yeeeehooooo. I got a better deal than i thought.
    Love it when stuff like this happens.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    My friend bought a solid state crate guitar amp head for 62 bucks at a Goodwill in northern Illinois. I used it all the time when I want to play guitar. Sweet deal for only 62 buck

3. wow, wish we had stuff like that in our GWs

4. We have both a GW and a Salvy (salvation army), and those wheel chairs we bought for 2 bucks each at the Salvy have really been fun. *picture: 4 idiots taking turns racing wheel chairs down a hill*

5. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    GW's where I found my member's only jacket Now all I need is some tight pants, a pair of LA gear sneakers, and some Ray Bans and I can look like a coked up date rapist whenever I want.

6. or a stereotypical emokid.

ive got a members only from GW. And a london fog thats 2 sizes too small with someone elses initials.
    and one like the LF thats from a "special" school in burkburnett texas celebrating 25 years of being "accident free".lol

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, I'm just waiting for some to chime in on some sweet deal on a used mattress!! Hehehe :D

-Mike

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    You must be the last member

9. Sweet find Jon223. A while back I bought a pair of worn out Ecco dress shoes from GW. the soles were worn out with cracks and holes. I took them over to Nordstroms to see if they could have them resoled..The hot shot salesman without any questions said they were faulty and gave me a new pair of the latest style of Ecco dress shoes :hyper:
    Recently a Salvation Army down the street was throwing away a bunch of surfboards. I gave them $5.00 for three of boards that looked appealing to me.. repairable. 2 of the 3 boards were landmark shapes/design by very important shapers of the early seventies. (Ben Aipa. Steve Lis) I sold the Aipa stinger on Ebay and kept the Lis fish.. :)

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My latest find was a set of JBL Control 5 studio monitors for $60.

Then I went to a pawnshop and picked up a pair of Tannoy near-field monitors in excellent condition... for $20.

I love used stuff. I just bought a small InFocus DLP projector for $350 from a pawnshop and have been having fun watching DVDs with ~14 foot diagonal picture:D. Think "Underworld" with life-size vampires and werewolves.

11. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Dang, I'm not sure if my house even has a room big enough for that. What do you project it onto? A wall? A screen?

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This isn't really a Goodwill story but a local guy here had purchased a $50 violin at a pawn shop for his daughter to learn to play. I guess she lost interest so he decided to sell it and some guy emailed and asked what words were on the bow. The guy posted that info in his auction and the violin went up to $750 bucks and sold for that much. After the buyer took delivery and inspected it he informed the seller that the violin was one of two in the world and the buyer now has both of them. Doh!!

brad cook

13. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    Ah but I'm still a member. Actually I'm on the look out for a leather one, I figure it's a nice alternative to the standard leather motorcycle jacket.

14. I am not to keen on what's happening in HB/OC . I am out of the Sunset Cliffs/Ocean Beach soul surfing scene.

Jeff Neu I believe is still making films/video's. I hear Christian is big into street luge. He had a speaking part in Charlie's Angels sequel . I am sure those guys are still ripping up the waves somewhere.

15. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    You know what's even funnier? Imagining the expression on the face of someone who could have used a cheap wheelchair, but didn't, because someone else chose to buy it and use it for racing! Ha, what fun!

16. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I've got what you don't have. HAHAHAHA! :D

I went through my mom's closet over winter break and found her vintage leather member's only jacket. Fits perfectly (I'm a skinny skinny dude). It's great for those gigs where you want to look like a rock star.

17. Isn't that what my money went to, helping those people who needed a cheap wheel chair? Besides, one of them went back to GW anyway, one charity to another.

18. One time I found a quarter on the floor.

19. :D
    I got a Herb Ohta record from the 70 last week. Its not playable but at least its a cool wall hanger.
    I bought it because i buy anything that has to do with ukuleles.
    And its super-rare to find Ukulele Isle in Oklahoma in a GW.
    The record sections are always worth checking out tho.

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My basement is still unfinished so for now I project it on a wall in my living room. It's about 17' w x 12' h. Dim the lights, crank up the sound and it's like the movies:D

The coolest thing about this projector is that it uses a much wider angle lens than current offerings. I can get a huge picture with the projector only about 14' from the wall. The only downside is that it's not HDTV compatible.

I brought home an InFocus 4800 DLP last night... now that I have the bug I'm testing the possibilities. Watched the Oscars, life size, in HDTV. Looked great even 9 feet tall. The downside was that it had to be about 6' farther away and still didn't get as big a picture as the older InFocus DLP. Kind of hard to go back to a 56" widescreen HDTV now;).

Here are a couple of bad pics, taken from same distance. Nemo on the pawnshop find, Underworld on the new projector. Big size difference. I'm happy with the older one.