Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hooray for Guitar Center!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkfish01, May 30, 2005.

1. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    I just got back from Guitar Center with my new baby: a Spector Performer 4 in Transparent Red. I got her for $180 plus tax. :hyper: Has anyone else gotten any awesome deals from Guitar Center's Memorial Day Sale today?

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    wow this is a hard to beat blow out..any pics? :hyper:

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    In 1998, I got a used Warwick Stage 1 5 string - $699!

4. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    One hour ago I got a Bongo 5 with J/MM for $959. :hyper: :bassist: :D

Peace,

James

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)

Dammit James! You and Brad should leave some toys for everyone else! :D

Congrats! how do you like it so far?

6. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    wow you are the man of the day :hyper: pics,pics,pics

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    When I first saw a Bongo I thought "what a stupid design". Then I played one. Since it was $1,700+, I was able to walk away. I was thoroughly impressed, but I was still able to walk away.

Today, I played this one back to back with a Stingray 5 ($846) and a 1979 pre-EB Stingray ($1,550). It blew them both away. I tried really hard to walk away today, but I just couldn't. I even got them to throw in two sets of D'Addario strings.

All of a sudden, I think Bongoes are kinda cool lookin'. Go figure.

Peace,

James

8. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    President: MusicDojo.com
    I just got back from GC, and dang it...maybe YOU'RE the one that took the Bongo 5! Actually, they had a used Bongo 4 they were selling for I think $750, but I really wanted a 5. I must say, even though I couldn't figure out the controls, the bass had major booty! It was very comfy to play, although the neck was a bit pencil-like for me. And in person, the shape is nowhere near as offensive.

I'm just going to cool my jets for a few months, see what MM comes out with this summer in regards to the SR5s, and then I'll make a decision, but I will say, if there was a 5er there, out would have come the "Preferred Player's Card."

9. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    Emergency post, guys...Is $1119 a good deal for a DH Bongo 5, or is that kind of "normal?"

10. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    nice deal the price list is above the $1,700,you can pick a good deal for $1,400 but this price($1,119) is a must.

11. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Just got back from GC. The big blow out sales are the only time I usually buy anything. Didn't buy a bass, but i did get 2 Celestion 2X15 sub cabs for $99 each. They sound pretty darn good as bass cabs.

12. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    I just called them back to say I couldn't get there tonight. They knocked down the price further. It's now $1K without the case! It's not Lava Pearl, but Desert Gold, and I think they also have a Carbon Pearl one, as well. I really don't need a case.

13. Fender Fretless MIM Jazz bass $270, new. I went to look at amps and ended up buying the bass. Its one of the ones with the fret lines, but no frets. Loved the tone on it, never intended to buy a fretless, but couldn't help but fall in love. I missed a MIM Fender Jazz that wasn't fretless for $199 new. Will post pictures later.

Edit: Link to picture below. Sorry, I spent a long time trying to get this to upload onto here, but with no success.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/funeralofhearts00/FLBass.jpg

14. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    If you're talking about the Southfield GC on Northwestern Hwy. GUILTY AS CHARGED. It was the last one there.

Even though my original perception of photos was "bleghhh", the first time I saw one in the flesh, I had the same impression. Photos don't bring out all of the contours and character lines. I played one then and several times since and have never been less than blown away by its tone, power, playability, and versatility.

I had avoided getting this card like the plague, but finally signed up for one with this purchase.

Peace,

James

15. Dan Lenard

Dan Lenard Banned

Mar 8, 2002
    Korg PX4R - $29

16. M-Audio Firewire 410 - $299.

No bass caught my eye...

17. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    We have a winner! Hands down deal of the day! 85% off!

18. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I went to GC to find a cheap abss I could rip all the frets out of.

about a half hour ago I ordered a fretless P from rondo.

:)

19. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I bought a cheap behringer UB502 for $30. Not a huge deal becuase they're usually $35 but it was a deal. Only problem is that it doesn't seem to be working so I'm gonna have to take it back. Stupid behringer. There were some awesome deals though. I really had fun playing a Pedulla Rapture RB-J2 19mm Maple in Black but it's out of my price range.

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    New Czech Spector 5 for $779.