Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hope I made the right choice...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rayzak, Feb 15, 2005.

1. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Today, I ordered some Nordstrand NP4 pickups for my '57 reissue. I'm going mainly on the positive input i've researched on this site. It was a tough choice between the NP4, the Lindy Fralin's, and the Duncan Antiquity '57 P pickups. I like the fact that the Duncans are true to the originals with the raised A string pole pieces. Can't wait to check 'em out. :hyper:

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I think you should be pleasantly surprised! ;) Congrats on picking up a NP4.

3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Its been my experience that Carey Nordstrand does not disappoint. I'm sure you'll like 'em. :bassist:

4. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Get your Depends ready.... :D

5. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    :eyebrow:
    Alright, now i'm psyched. Thanks guys.

6. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Well, I put the NP4 in my '57 and :eek: , this thing is awesome. It's so much more even throughout all four strings than the Fenders were and the E sounds much fuller... I love 'em. I'm ecstatic with my decision.
    One thing though. While installing them, the covers are ever-so-slightly larger than the Fenders and the Fender covers wouldn't fit on the Nordstrand pickups. When replacing the pickguard, they wouldn't fit through the pickup slots... the eyelets(sorry about my terrible description) where the screws go were a bit oversized. I had to file a small part of the aluminum pickgaurd away so they'd fit through. It's not noticeable, but it was somewhat of a surprize. Anyone else ever deal with this issue before? The sound is totally worth this small hassle though. Nice work Carey. Keep up the good work.

7. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Hi Rayzak,
    I'm glad you like the pickup! I've had good luck with that model so far.

I should let you know that I've changed to slightly smaller covers for the P pickup. I used to get them from Allparts, but I found another source. Hopefully this pickguard filing stuff will be a thing of the past. You're not the first to have this problem, hopefully you'll be the last ;)

8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

My pickguard had to be filed a bit,but no problem. For the sound I get out of my Pbass Deluxe now, it was well worth it! :hyper:

9. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Hey Carey,
    Thanks for replying. I'm glad you've addressed this. I'm with Beefbass... it is well worth the slight inconvenience. I don't see me ever putting the original pickup back in. It's also great knowing that it's behind us now :) .
    I'm more than satisfied.

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Well, I know that I look forward to Nordstrand pickups going into my fretless 6 string that Karl Hoyt is building for me. Too bad Carey doesn't make soap bars the right size for my fretted 6. I'd buy a set for it also.

11. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I gotta make it a point to meet Karl Hoyt someday, since he lives right here on the Cape!

My 1999 MIM Pbass deluxe was a decent bass with the Fender pickups it came with. With Carey's, it is now an awesome bass(the combination of those with TI Jazz Flats makes for a great sound IMHO.) It is my favorite bass to play now.

I've also noticed one thing; I have MIM jazzes with DiMarzio's. They are supposed to be a high output pickup. However, the Nordstrands walk all over them in that department IMHO/IME
    :hyper:

12. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I should be receiving a set of NP4's today. Will I get the old or new covers?

13. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Probably the old ones. The new ones haven't quite infiltrated my dealers yet. What bass is it going into?
    If you have any problems let me know and we'll get you a replacement ASAP.

14. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I installed the NP4 in this.

Attached Files:

15. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    What kind of strings are you using on that bass? I use TI Jazz Flats on my Nordstrand equipped Pbass Deluxe. IMHO it's an awesome combination!

Congrats on the new pickup. I'll bet you never though that Pbass could sound as good as it probably does now! :bassist:

16. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I've got Ernie Ball Group III flats on it now. I'm still tweaking. I installed a bridge also.

Attached Files:

17. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Very nice! :hyper:

18. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Pretty cool! Nice grain on the wood.

Is that a Leo Quan bridge? Was it hard to install?