1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(Hopefully) Temporary Setback

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by the art guy, Sep 22, 2008.

1. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Well, crap. Drummer just quit.

Cover band, mostly for fun. Guitarist/singer is into '80s indie/power pop/roots (Replacements, Elvis Costello, Husker Du, Uncle Tupelo, etc.) and drummer is more in tune with '90s radio-friendly "alternative" stuff. Turns out I was the glue holding them together, I guess, but it didn't hold too long. They each kept requesting tunes that the other guy wasn't too crazy about.

No hard feelings or anything, I just think that his taste and what he wants to play weren't aligning with ours so well. So.....I guess the question is: as we try to go forward and find another drummer, do we take the approach of "this is what we play - can you do that?" as opposed to a more democratic approach (like we tried to do with this drummer)?

Any opinions? I'm a flexible guy, but this is a for-fun-and-occasional-gig thing, so if it's not the kind of music I (we) are into, it's not worth it.

2. The two genres mentioned are not that far apart; I'm surprised you guys couldn't find enough commonly acceptable material to keep everyone happy. I can relate to not wanting to play what you don't want to play(I was young for awhile myself, IIRC)too, but everyone involved turning up the flexibility might equal more play time. Again, just thoughts. :)

3. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Yeah, that was basically my take on it too - common ground shouldn't be hard to find. And obviously you're only getting my side of the story here, but trust me when I say that I was more flexible than either of them.

I think the drummer really wanted to play stuff the audience knows, regardless of whether we liked it or would enjoy playing it. And if we were looking for moneymaking regular gigs, then yeah. But oh well - it's a moot point anyway.

4. Well I'm perhaps a bit biassed, but I find the bass player to usually be the flexible one. :)
    Hang in there- something will happen.

5. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I had a drummer quit earlier this year due to a disagreement over musical style. Best thing that ever happened to the band. Got a new drummer who can mop the floor with the old one, we're gigging more than we ever did, and I'm enjoying playing with them again!

-Mark

6. I'm drummerless too, and light a guitar player as well. Things are not progressing as well as I had hoped on finding a replacement. We had gigs scheduled for the first part of October but we are cancelling due to the lack of personnel.

Short story, I stepped into a bang just starting out with a good solid sound, the bass player was joining another band & I was taking over the reins so to speak. On the bass player's last show (end of July), the singer was sick, there was a fill in singer, some resentment from the prior drummer & others. Bottom line was that in the next few weeks the band lost the drummer & one of the guitarist was going to another band.

The drummer got into a tiff with the singer, saying he wanted to quit over how the last show went down. The singer decided to fire him on the spot without consulting the other members. There have been references to the singer saying "it's my band & my say" but that only flies until you get up there doing stand alone karaoke!!

I hope your situation pans out & you are back up & running in no time, I'm not sure we will ever get back up. Out looking now for other opportunities. We are going weeks at a time now without practice or percussion prospects and not scheduling any more gigs. I think the end is near! I know the other guitarist is just about to give up.