Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hopeless?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ChildoftheKorn, Jun 1, 2003.

1. ChildoftheKorn

ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    IL
    Well here i need help. First off lets get my backround out of the way im a newer bassist playing for about a month and a half, without lesson, i dont know how to read chords or notes. I got this bass last christmas and well i didnt pick it up till a month and a half or so ago well i got ok pretty quickly i can play megadeth, misifts black sabbath. But alas im the love child of tablature. I find myself wanting a bit more from my music then to just impress my friends. I feel like my skill isnt growing anymore and i really want to make my own bass lines up. And im utterly clueless on where to beging, should i get a few books , if so name a few, or should i get lessons? Im starting to lose intrest in bass because of this and i only play once a day now instead of 4 times a day. I love my bass and would love any suggetsion you guys could give me.

2. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Buying books would be a good way, or if you have the money, a teacher would be even better. Hands on experience. You'll be able to learn a lot of the things you said you don't understand.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well as a self taught bassist of 3 years or so, Talkbass has helped me out a lot... so stick around, ya might learn a thing or two.

P.S. Not to attack you or anything, but you might want a different username. A username with Korn or Fieldy in the title will get you no respect. I can manage to look past usernames but I'm sure you'll get plenty of... phhhhttt... Korn Sucks, Fieldy blows, go to hell, blah blah. I don't like Korn either, but... no one else here does either. :meh: Uhmmm... just a warning. But don't let anyone scare you off this board, once you get into it it's great, and you will learn a lot. Talkbass is a poor substitute for a teacher, but is great none the less.

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I'd suggest lessons - there is nothing like a new challenge to keep you wanting to play, and a good teacher will do nothing if not keep you challenged.

5. ChildoftheKorn

ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    IL
    ok well who asked any of your guys opinions, heh i like korn :D im sure i dont lots of bands you do, but thanks for the imput though :)

6. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Definately go the teacher route if you can. Before I had a teacher, I found myself jumping all over the place tying to learn all sorts of things in the wrong order (i.e. I tried to run before I could walk.) The teacher simply evaluated where I was as a bassist at that point, then made a lesson plan that had much more of a logical "flow" to it. Everything stayed fresh and I progressed at a much quicker rate.

7. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Ditto on the lessons. A teacher will open up a whole new world for you, correct your mistakes, answer questions, help you improve your technique, and so much more.

Also, you say you've only been using tablature. Only playing songs you've learned by tabs is most likely not going to give you that "bit more" that you crave. Learning theory, ear-training, sight reading, learning different styles of music, studying your favorite bands and seeing why they used the notes they used in songs (hence, the theory behind the songs), etc...All this will also open up a whole new world.

Good luck :)

8. well, i got the same thing going, i suck imo and i wanna do something about it, tho i can't affort a teacher. I learned alot on talkbass and i'm still learning loads of things from talkbass. So now i'm looking for a band to play in, to keep the motivation and, hopefully, to learn more.
    Good luck with the bass playing !