Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hopes go up, hopes go down, hopes go up, hopes go down...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Man, what a let down today. I got an inside scoop that Mesa/Boogie was hiring for the West Coast Sales Manager position, and I got my resume in as quickly as I could. My buddies Trent and Steve at Boogie puts in a good word for me, and the waiting begins. Two weeks go by, and no phone call. Bummer. So I figure the position is filled.

And then I get a call today. Woohoo!! I'm talking to the guy for about 10 minutes, and it seems to be going great. I am getting excited, and a bit nervous. Adrenaline pumping. And then he drops the bomb on me: the position has already been filled. Ouch.

We continued to talk for about 20 minutes, and he says he is really impressed with my resume, and wants to keep me in mind for the future. He talked to my buddies and also the VP about it, and they had all really good things to say he says. Hmmm... seems everything was in my favor, so I guess there was some pretty stiff competition. All in all it was a pretty positive conversation, but I still don't have a job with Boogie. Rats. All that adrenaline for nothing.:bawl:

Hold me.

2. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    When you least expect it, you will hear from them
    and you will get the Job.:)

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Up and down and up and down. Thats life. Just be glad that you have connections into the business you want to be a part of. Thats a few (big) steps ahead of many of the rest of us.

4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    There there, go ahead and put your head on my shoulder and let it all out. :p

Sorry to hear about your dissapointment. But don't give up looking for the job you want!

And about your thread title, I knew a girl name Hope who was just like that. Up, down, up, down. :D

5. I get knocked up
    And I get down again
    Knocked up
    And I get down again

6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

You kind of blew it ...

They will NEVER call you . (period)

HR guys are too dumb to call you. If they were smarter, they would be the sales guys, and making more money.

Therefore:

You need to lead them by the hand.
    You need to call them.
    Do NOT WAIT FOR OTHERS TO CALL YOU.
    Don't wait for the ball to come to you, you need to grab the ball and head down field.

Find out who the guy is in the department that you would have been working for. Call him on the phone and make an appointment to see him.
    See him and tell him all about yourself, and how much that opportunity meant to you. Don't BS, just be straight up

Ask him for recommendations of people at his competitors that you could work for ...
    Sometimes, they will give you that, but with a look, they will realize what you have to offer , and not want you to go elsewhere.

It is hard to find GOOD people in business.

The attention you need to attract is deeper in the organization than the guy who hires the janitors, no offense to my fave bro (Turd Chaser)
    Funkinstoner, whom I love like a brother, never yet having met his wonderful heart in person.

Go for the end zone.

Got anything to lose? No ...

Everything to gain for asking for more consideration.

How much do you want it?

Enough to pick up the phone?

Let me know how you make out. !

Mr Motivation {great coffee today ...}

Thor

7. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I did call. I knew the guy personally. Just didn't get the gig.

8. that 40% of new hires don't last past the third month. so your chances of getting the job are actually pretty good.

this happened to me. i got offered a job eight months after i interviewed, and they'd hired someone else. i got a little turned off at the idea of being "sloppy seconds," and i didn't really want the job, so i turned it down. but still -- i did get the call.

it's the start of a new quarter, so don't be surprised if the phone rings again.

good luck!

m

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

You said at the beginning you waited for two weeks.

So did you call him or did he call you?

10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Oh, sorry. I called when I sent in the resume and left a message, and I called again the next week. I got a call back 4 days later.

11. Thor

Consider yourself held. A good lesson in sales technique for free is worth 5 hugs, especially if it helps you get a good job you like later.

One of the best books I have ever read on selling - you applied to be a sales manager, didn't you? -
    is by Tom Hopkins,

How to Master the Art of Selling.

It is inexpensive. Buy it, read it, live it, sell it. You would like that job or one like it, wouldn't you?

Thor

12. Thor

Ok, you posted your reply, while I was editing mine.

You didn't say if you actually ever talked to the guy, or left him voicemail.

Nevertheless, I stand by the above, it is good technique.

You don't have to leave 5 voicemails, if you leave one, then don't leave a lot more. But sometimes then I call after hours, some execs leave later than the phone gatekeepers.

Idea being, you need to make the extra efforts in communication.

Good luck on the next shot. Brush up the skills if you are going to be good at selling.

Thor

13. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Thanks for the kind words Thor. I will try to be a little more aggressive next time, but this time I felt it was best to be only slightly aggressive. I've been calling the VP every month, and left two messages with the head Sales Manager for this spot, plus it was Thanksgiving week when this all went down. They guy they hired is apparently a super high qualified guy who has done this sort of thing before, and I think the deal was done before I had even heard the postition was open.

All in all I think things are looking pretty good. The guy wants to meet with me again at NAMM, and he understands that I will take any job, any where, any time. It will happen someday, but I hope it's sooner than later.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hey Thor.....I read that book. Great suggestion!

The advice from Thor works.....I used to be in a position to hire people. We only hired the aggressive ones, the ones that called us. I told people the "resume on file" crap too as I slid it off my desk into the shredder. The economy is slow, and jobs are harder to find. This is the time you have to be aggressive. Not desperate, just aggressive. Deal from a position of power.

-Mike