Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hoppus playing an upright?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vince S., Feb 8, 2004.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    The music video for Blink 182's "I Miss You" was on today, and I couldn't help but notice that Mark was playing an upright...I wasn't too sure since the background in the video was dark so I couldn't see clearly, but it looked like he was.

Anybody see this?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    that's what I saw. What's next, jazz. I dunno If I'd go that far, but that is kinda cool.

3. yeah he is, but he didnt look like he was actually playing it.
    I like that song, but the vid was kinda lame.

4. He's just "playing" an upright for the sake of looks in the video...the actual bass he used for the song on the album is a Martin 4-String acoustic...Mark has even said himself he has no idea how to play and upgright or with his fingers...he's always used a pick...

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Did you actually see them playing on Top of the Pops on Friday? It was terrible - one of the worst things I've ever seen - lacklustre , dull, very poor singing and playing, horrible sound - absolutely no redeeming features!! :meh:

6. dAs teh p01nt of pUn|< si1lY

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well to me it was the opposite - the spirit of punk is energy and excitement - whereas this was dull, lacklustre and not even mercifully short!! :meh:

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    He cant play upright. i saw blink on sat night in manchester. they were great. full of energy and fantastic songs. he played one of his sig jazz body / p pickup whatsits. the one in tartan.

i really really dont want this to turn into a "punk,.... NOT PUNK!!" debate, but as my favourite band i can safely say, blink ARE NOT PUNK. it true. and if you say they are you're wrong. theyre pop rock and i love it.

9. they are punk. they fit that description better than "pop rock". now hush you. :D

10. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Very creative typing. (I couldn't do that)

11. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    The guy from Bare Naked Ladies was playing an Ele up-right bass. It was cool just because I've never seen one before.