1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hoppus upgrade, now almost MIA quality?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by goldenglory18, Aug 7, 2012.

1. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Amateur. Take my advice for its resale value.
    All,

I've been eyeing the Hoppus basses for years. I've always been a fan of Marks tone and always loved his choice in basses. My basses of choice have consistently been a MIA P with 1/4lb pickup upgrade and the occasional jazz neck swap. I'm also completely infatuated with ash bodied MIA P's, especially the natural/rw/tortoise combinations. The quality and tone of a good MIA build is EXACTLY what my hands and ears love. That + a good tube amp is my tone, perfect.

So now I've been looking into those Hoppus sticks. For the price some have been going for, I should be able to pick up a clean maple MIA jazz neck and really set it up sweet. Ebay is king with the Hoppus basses but something caught my eye today....

The 2011+ are listed as "Hoppus Upgrade." I check the Fender page and HOLY****BALLS, they are now built with an ash body and transparent finish. I look a little closer at the pictures both on the fender site and ebay and see the new necks are stripeless and have the adjustment nut at the bottom of the neck, not the headstock.

So I'm here inventorying parts in my head, and comparing the standard MIA P's vs the original Hoppus and new one and I can't help but think this new "Upgraded" Hoppus is a hell of a lot closer to MIA quality then not.

What think you all? Have you gotten a chance to see or play the new version? If you have or are aware of the changes, when did this take place? I've got a lead on a original version in seafoam that is in GREAT condition at a steal of a deal ($400 with new hard case included.) I'm just on the fence now on whether I want to get this one now to upgrade it the way I want it (new neck, new pickguard) or source out a new(er) one with the higher quality wood/parts.

Sorry....that ended up WAY longer than intended.....

2. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    The upgrades don't make much of a difference. I've played both versions, owned the updated transparent white w/tortoise shell pickguard for awhile and returned it, I prefer the discontinued/original model and pickup placement. The ash body is a nice touch, which takes a bit of weight off, but not by much. The new pickup placement isn't as sonically different as it states - where you pick/finger will have more of an impact to begin with - not to mention EQ and pickup height come into play as well. The neck is similar to the Highway One necks with the 70s style black logo and truss rod on the bottom. So far, every one of the necks that come on the new Hoppus basses have had nice rosewood grains on them. If you plan on swapping out the necks, then buying it new would send you back a bit to swap out the neck (obviously), even though the stock necks are nice. Other than that, it's not an "upgrade" as much as it's an "update" on his bass. The old versions featured a standard MIM Precision neck, but those are fine as is, too.

Also, you must be talking about Surf Green. His old bass was only released in Daphne Blue, Surf Green, Shell Pink, Olympic White, and Black. It was never manufactured in Seafoam Green. My advice, snag the used one with the hard case and don't look back unless you can get the updated version for under $600. Here's a picture of my Hoppus Herd w/some Jazz bass I threw together. You get the idea.

[​IMG]

3. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Amateur. Take my advice for its resale value.
    Yeah, I might be confusing update and upgrade. Long days and tired eyes might do that to anyone.

The ash body to me is a tonal improvement, not just for weight/visual properties. But with that monster of a pickup I doubt it would be seriously noticeable (now that I think about it, my natural/ash P was a MIM that played and felt like a MIA. My band mated gave me crap for it until they heard it...)

Thanks for the info PBnJ...it's obvious you have some experience with the Hoppus line. Hahaha...

4. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    No problem. Just remember that some MIAs are still made of Alder, so there's no loss here with the old models. If you are in dire need of the NEW Hoppus for a good price, shoot me a PM, I've got a lead.