Horace Silver ??

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by davegr8house, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Hello All,
    My Lessons are going well and I seem to be getting more comfortable on the Double Bass more and more. My Teacher and I have been working on Jazz and Blues Tunes and it seems to be going well..."keep forgeting to flat those 7th...dang..:rolleyes: My Teacher wants me to write out some more lines to play along with the Jamey Abersold Vol. 17 that I have. The thing is he says he wants me try a solo:eek: This is a first during our lessons so I want to do well. I wish to hear other Artist playing this song so as to get some tasteful ideas. I cannot find a Horace Silver CD with The Preacher on it and I do not want to order one and wait. My question is do any of you know some good recordings of this song from any Artist I can check out? Any help would be very helpful. Thank you for your time and Good Day.

If the world didnt suck we would all fall off....
  2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Nope. It's not about remembering and forgetting, it's about hearing the chord. That takes time, too.

Check www.allmusic.com for Horace's rap. His full name, according to the site: Horace Ward Martin Tavares Silver.

And in closing: Don't sweat it, bro. You're already moving ahead.
  3. Thank you Samuel,
    That is an interesting site. I look forward to reading Bio`s of other Artist I am fond of. I`ll get the 7ths, it just takes Practice...and Practice...and Practice...and

If the world didnt suck we would all fall off....
  4. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i am aware of at least two bassists here at T B that played with Horace though I do not know if they recorded with him.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The Preacher is on a CD I have - "Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers" - the Blue Note, hard bop classic from 1955.

Kenny Dorham and Hank Mobley along with the leader and featured writer. Bass player is Doug Watkins.

It is basically a Blues meets Gospel thing - with "call and response" - the solos from Dorham and Mobley are very "Bluesy" - Silver himself seems to be playing little patterns and moving them around.

It's basically an extended Blues with a sort of middle 8 at quite a gentle tempo for these times - I would probably try pentatonic scales - there aren't many chords, so you can almost treat each group on its merits.
  6. Thanks Guys,
    If is kinda an old thread but thank you for your input. The Song and Solo I came up with went over ok....I did the Rookie thing and played all I could when I could on the first chorus so when my teacher said "Keep playing...play another chorus"..I kinda hadent planed for it....BUT...hey were working on things like that...learning is a constant.
    I dont Post on the Boards all that much but I do hang out and watch and learn...kinda the close your mouth and open your ears thing. Last I posted much on the Christopher Bass Thread and have decided not to buy one. They do seem to be a great value but I have decided to keep saving :rolleyes: and buy something better. Hopefully I will find one soon. Thank you for your time...

If the word didnt suck we would all fall off.....
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member