horizontal Ampeg 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tightbidness, Feb 18, 2005.

1. A couple of times recently I've seen bassists with their Ampeg 8x10 cabs set horizontally instead of vertically. Is there a purpose to this?
  2. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    shot in the dark.....

more low "oomph" due to more ground contact?
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    to make them (the bass players) look taller.

actually that's a terrible idea. ideally speakers should be set up in a vertical array.
  4. Wouldn't there be some advantages having 4 10's from the same cab coupling with the floor??
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Either way, the cabinet contacts the floor. The same amount of weight, from the same cabinet. It would make the highs bounce across the floor. Unless you stack them 4 high. Now that would be cool!
  6. Tom Araya does that. But only because his cabs are hidden under the drum riser
  7. Thanks for the replies.

Here's something interesting from the Ampeg Website. Looks like the Anniversary 810 cab on the right was designed to be placed horizontally.

8. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I would guess that the horizontal increases the pant-flapping effect? Horizontal cabs also make a nice place to sit down, kind of like a musical park bench.
  9. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Maybe I'll try that. I bet you get a better B with the group coupling and with the floor..... You better duck tape those casters, though.....
  10. I'll second the bench idea-I've done that before and it can be a handy way to get a seat. Now if only I could keep the tolex on the cab from ripping more!! :crying:

11. Rockbobmel

12. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I've just heard that having two 410's next to eachother is more low end presence whilst stacked on top of eachother is more higher end punch and cuts better.
  13. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Yes but with one cabinet, youre getting that one cab touching the floor no matter which way you lie it. The difference with two 410 cabs is that one of them isnt touching the floor when its stacked.
  14. I once saw Alice Cooper, and the bass player also set up his 8*10's horizontally. He used 4 of them, 2 placed on each other, on both sides of the drummer. And it looked totally cool :bassist:
  15. Jeff Ament does something similar with his 6x10s. Instead of placing the cabs on both sides of the drummer Ament sets them up like a wall behind him. (According to BP, drummer Matt Cameron gets his own 610!)
  16. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    ive seen this a few times, ive just always thought they did it just to do it. Only thing i can think of is when its upright it will make the sound up higher and seem, louder. So maybe if they want to be quite...

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    However, the resulting perceived low frequency boost from having your cabs placed upon the floor is not only from the cab coupling with the floor (which I agree, it will do in either configuration), but also from the actual reflection of the sound waves, which would be greater with an 8x10 on its "side" that standing upright.

My guess is that you would, indeed, have more low end "boom" with the 8x10 on its side, but it would still make more sense to me to stand it upright. It should sound more tight, clear, and focused positioned upright, and it will be closer to ear level.
  18. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

19. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    P-Nut from 311 has a pair of SWR 810s that he lays on their sides, stacked. I don't understand really why you wouldn't just stand the pair upright... Oh well though, he's bad and his sound is killer, so I ain't gonna question the methods to his madness. :)
  20. Rockbobmel

I did this with my Mesa P1000 and it did increase the bottom end response.