1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Horizontal Vibrato

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by thndrstk6, Sep 14, 2008.

1. So this may seem like a novice question but I'm having troubles with doing that horizontal, finger shaking vibrato. I can do it but it just doesn't sound right to me. I know of the string bending vertical vibrato but I like the way the horizontal one sounds. I know you have to go over the fret and back but does anyone have any tips on how I can do this cleaner and make is sound more defined? Should I just go crazy and slide up and down randomly or should I try to shake it just over the fret? It looks very simple but I'm just getting hung up on it.

2. Traver

Traver

Sep 25, 2007
    Unless you're playing a fretless, a horizontal vibrato WILL sound grittier and more rough than a vertical, that's just how it sounds.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Not if you do it right.

You want to "push" the string towards the bridge. This reduces the tension between your finger and the bridge, dropping the pitch. When you roll your finger back, towards the headstock, "pull" the string - this will raise the pitch. This is classical guitar vibrato, and it sounds beautiful. John Patitucci uses this vibrato beautifully.

4. I guess I need to know how hard to push down or how far do you slide up and down or if you anchor your thumb or not.

5. Traver

Traver

Sep 25, 2007
    Sure, I just meant the kind where you slide between frets to create a vibrato. I have never heard anyone who can do that really delicately. Your way of doing horizontal vibratos are a different matter. Then again, I may be wrong.

6. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska

If you're sliding between the frets, that's a trill.

Thndr - press hard enough that your finger doesn't move on the string. You really don't need to fret very hard, but you don't want the finger moving - you're basically changing the length of the string with this motion, stretching and releasing the tension.

The good thing about this vibrato is that the you go to both sides of the pitch center. Use the blues vibrato (bending laterally across the frets), the pitch only goes sharp. So the classical guitar vibrato gives you a more "in tune" sound.

7. This is what I mean by vibrato or trill of what ever it is. Watch this. He does it at .48 sec and then some more later on.

8. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Ok, that's a trill. You hold the string down just barely enough to get the pitch. Don't anchor your thumb, and slide.

Hope that helps.

9. Ok I'll give that a shot. Thanks a lot.

10. Traver

Traver

Sep 25, 2007
    I thought trills were only when you did it using hammer-ons and pull-offs.
    The things you learn.

11. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets