1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Horn adjustment on the back of the ampeg 410HE classic???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by punkindrublic, Mar 26, 2006.

1. punkindrublic

punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    Hey guys,

Just picked up an ampeg 410he classic cab (no more bringing the 8x10 up and down 3 stories for practice!) and im just wondering about the horn adjustment on the back... Ive never dealt with one of these and the guy didnt have the manual.... I tried messin around with it, but i couldnt figure it out... Id appreciate any help guys! Thanks

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    The attenuator is for the high freq driver. Turned all the way down (to the left) is off. Use your ears to determine how much you want to turn it up. If you can't hear any difference its either broken, or you need to listen more closely... preferably while standing in front of the cab.

3. punkindrublic

punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    Gotcha, ill give that a try.... Thanks

4. CAUTION: When I purchased my cab, I was told to never turn the switch all the way down (to off position). I do not know if that was educated advise or just paranoia from the sales guy, but I did err on caution.
    Great cab, enjoy!

5. On a semi-related note, I just got a beat up an ampeg 4x10 he classic ($150!) with the tweeter removed (IE a big hole or... custom port :meh:??). The 2x10 on top and the 2x10 on the bottom are separated with a piece of plywood so they are nearly sealed off from one another, but there is an approx. 4x4 inch cutout in that piece of plywood behind the location where the tweeter is. Is this supposed to be there? Or is the plywood supposed to completely seal off both 2x10's?

I can't find a schematic...could someone pop off their tweeter and let me know? Thanks!!

6. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    The sales guy is wrong.

hillbillyfunk, i am not going to disassemble my cab to find out, but I would guess that the horn (if it were there) would fit nicely into that space in the plywood. The horn isn't a little piezo type tweter, its a pretty good sized compression driver.

I would assume that a big hole where the horn used to be adversly affects the cabs sound, which is why it was only $150. I imagine a replacement driver would be available from SLM.