1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

horn attenuator or switch for a cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by markandsophie, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Hi i currently have a 210 cab with horn but no attenuator or on off switch. How easy is it to buy and install a switch or possibly an attenuator so i can have the ability to turn the horn off and on etc?? Any links would be great or if anybody has done this before info would be appreciated.

Thank you

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It's a very cheap and easy job. You can get everything you need from www.partsexpress.com.

If you want a variable attenuator that lets you turn the tweeter up and down to taste, somehting like this will be perfect.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-265

The box in comes in has a wiring diagram to show you how to install it. It's not difficult and if you need help, all you need to do is ask here.

If all you want it an on/off switch, all you need is a toggle switch. Put it somewhere along the positive wire that goes to the tweet. This is easier to install again, but obviously lacks the adjustability of the L-pad above.

3. thank you for the response, very much appreciated.

4. The cab i have doesnt have a crossover, its actually a 212 cab with 2 times 400 watt speakers in them and the horn. No crossover, do i need to put one in or would the L pad be sufficient when wired up?? Thank you (im a bit confused with this crossover thing ?)

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It sounds like you've got a piezo horn which by it's nature doesn't need a crossover.

In this case, it might be an idea to forget the L-pad option. The 100w L-pad I linked you to is one of the larger capacity units on the market and I'm affraid with a potential 800w going through it, it may fail. Usually the L-pad goes after the crossover because in removing the lows frequencies, it also removes a lot of the electrical energy. An 800w signal may very well only be 100w or so by the time the crossover has done it's job. Without a crossover, the L-pad will recieve the full brunt of the 800w signal and could be damaged. An 800w L-pad would do the trick but there's no such thing that I know of.

That said, I don't recommend adding a crossover to a piezo because it potentially introduced phase problems which in turn introduced some unpleasantness and unpredictability in the sound. Besides, if you're going to go to that much trouble, you may as well replace the piezo with a "normal" horn while you're there and do the job properly.

The toggle switch to turn the horn on and off will still work and in this case, might be the easiest fix