Horn crackling at low frequencies

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basss, Feb 13, 2002.

1. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I just got a new speaker cab with a horn in it. When I play the low notes on my 5 string at moderate volumes a crackling sound comes from the horn. Im sure its the horn- when I turn the horn's attenuator all the way down I can't hear it. I don't think it is what people refer to as "farting" as this sound is more of a broken glass type of crackle. Its weird because it sounds fine when I play above low E. Did I get a bad horn?
  2. It's probably OK. That's what the attenuator is for. Turn it down until the crackle goes away.

You may want to play a CD or something through the cab and see how the horn sounds with some hi frequencies going through it.
  3. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Really? This crackling isn't just a string clicking sound- it sounds like a nasty distortion type of thing. It's pretty noticable when I play low notes and sounds bad. I didn't think horns were supposed to do that. Are they?
  4. rcrimm

rcrimm Commercial User

Jun 20, 2000
    Meridian, MS USA
    Customer Service, Peavey Electronics
    Sounds like a blown tweeter to me. That crackling is the sound of a voice coil on it's way out...
  5. Are you sure it goes away when you turn the attenuator down? I had a cab with a horn that was distorting. Turning the attenuator down did not help. It turned out that the horn was physically rattling against the wood in the baffle. I had to tighten the screws holding the horn in to solve it.

If that is not it and it is noticible at low volumes, could it be that they somehow hooked the horn up without a crossover (or with the wrong crossover frequncy) thereby feeding lows to the horn. This would fry the horn in short order. Do you know what kind of crossover it has?

Or it could be just a bad horn. You might try playing that CD through there to see if the horn sounds good with hi frequencies.

If it is a new cab, you may want the seller to have a look at it to be sure.