1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Horn in a cab - what does this mean?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rubber_ritchie, Sep 16, 2008.

1. rubber_ritchie

rubber_ritchie

Feb 2, 2008
    London
    Dudes,

I'm planning to buy an Ampeg cab.

Ampeg B410HLF
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ampeg-B410H...UTF8&coliid=I1ANXWPRK5A7W6&colid=X0B1MNITNEKR
    or
    Ampeg B-410HE
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ampeg-B410HE-B-410HE/dp/B000OM9PBE/ref=pd_rhf_p_img_4

I've seen these two around the same price, one for a little more that has a horn. Pardon my ignorance. Do I need the horn? Should I pay extra for good horn?

I'm thinking about getting this head with it.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ampeg-SVT45...UTF8&coliid=I22IFYS6ZDNR58&colid=X0B1MNITNEKR

Thans in advance :hyper:

2. Horns add to your high end frequency response. Many people love them, and as far as I can tell just as many think it makes their sound too "clanky". You can always torn off the horn if you don't like it.

3. With horn they mean 'horn tweeter'. Wich will reproduce those frequencies that a woofer will not reproduce: the highs.

4. rubber_ritchie

rubber_ritchie

Feb 2, 2008
    London
    Thanks guys. Wow! 2 replies in six minutes of posting. I love Talk Bass!!! :bassist:

5. I used to think that i hated tweeters. I just found out that its not the tweeters that i hate, but its the horns in front of them. I will now add dome tweeters to my cab and see if that solves the problem.

6. What a mess

What a mess

Aug 20, 2008
    Valdosta Ga.
    I have played cabs with and without horns, I don't own cabs without them now. What tone do you like, do you slap? Play round or flat wound strings? What bass players sound do you like Stanley Clark & Victor Wooten slap funk edgy, = horn good.

Big thumpy blue grass rock a billy old time rock or country you might not want the extra highs. What style do you play? What gear do you play? What is your goal?

7. rubber_ritchie

rubber_ritchie

Feb 2, 2008
    London
    I play a little funk/soul and slap now and again but I'm more of a heavy/hard rock groove player. I love Rex Brown's (Pantera) sound.

8. Slats

Slats

Apr 25, 2004
    JMHO..Get the horn. If you don't like it you can turn it off. You can adjust it to what extent you want it included in your overall sound with the level control knob on back.

I go back and forth with it depending how I want to tweak my sound at the time. Sometimes a little hint is a good thing, sometimes it's off. Hope this helps.

9. Slats

Slats

Apr 25, 2004
    Rubber_ritchie, any update yet?

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you want people to get out of your way, you're going to need a horn.

11. rubber_ritchie

rubber_ritchie

Feb 2, 2008
    London
    I decided I'd like the horn. Thanks guys!