Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

horn ohm matching

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ninefingerbass, Jan 1, 2006.

1. I have a Peavey bxbw 15" speaker rated @ 4 ohms. I am looking to add a horn to create a full sound. What ohm should the horn be rated at to match the speaker itself and to connect the two to a 1/4" input what would be required?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You have to be concerned with not only the driver impedance but also the crossover, the crossover frequency, the sensitivity of the horn and the necessity for an LPad. Additionally, unless the horn has a very low cross-over point you'd probably be far better off adding a cone midrange driver instead, and that still entails all of the details listed above. Doing this successfully will require quite a bit of research on your part. This would be as good a place as any to start:
    www.audioxpress.com/bksprods/books/bkaa66.htm

3. Are you planning to add a tweeter-horn or a larger one that dips further into the mid frequencies?
    If only a tweeter, you could go the route I went. I ordered and installed a Foster tweeter horn and crossover/input panel in a 2x15 (4 ohm) cab. I bought them from Dave at Avatar speakers.
    You can PM me for more information..

Mag...

4. essentially what im trying to do is to add a tweeter to an existing cabinet so i can have a snap to my playing. ive noticed after playing an SWR big bertha, i think thats right, that my style fits better with a horn. anyway. i just need to get something that i can buy and put it and plug and play. nothin fancy or over the top just basic easy. i'd like a strong tweeter BTW. i guess i should have mentioned this earlier.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That would best be accomplished with a piezo tweeter, no crossover required. Available at www.partsexpress.com.

6. a piezo tweeter wouldnt fart out on me would it? is there anyway to control the output?

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If you want built in level control, a proper crossover with a level control built in and a diaphragm type tweeter would be best. I'm not entirely sure how to control the output on a peizo. A peizo tweeter doesn't need a corssover, since it naturally rejects the frequencies that it cannot handle. Electrically, a peizo tweeter is a capactir, which rejects low frequency input.

8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member