Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hornplayers and earplugs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Crazic, May 31, 2002.

1. I know this doesn't really belong here, but oh well
    i wear earplugs at gigs
    the hornplayers in my band don't
    they say its because they cant hear if theyre in tune or not
    do horn players just give up and go deaf or are there special earplugs or something
    thanx

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Man, you've got yourself a set of weird hornplayers! When I play trumpet, my ears tell me the frequency the others play, my own,,,I feel thru my lips and hear thru my scull. Intonations suffers very marginally to ambient noise, in that respect.

But I guess your horn players mean that they can't have a proper frequency spectre, when using ear plugs. True, if they use foam plugs.

Tell then to try ER-20's!
    I used it, with pleasure, until I got custom moulded ER-15's. Many musicians on all places in the Swedish Chamber Orchestra use ER-20's, for practice, rehearsal and concert. etc etc etc

You tell those guys to put $10 into preserving their hearing, and their nerves! Tinnitus is a nerve killer, I can tell you that!!!

Use earplugs = stay :cool:

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'll second the ER-20s. I just got a set for everyone in our band - no more ringin ears after practise anymore!!! They attenuate all frequencis equally, so you hear everything, it's just 20dB quieter.

We all could suddenly hear the clarity of every instrument - we could even hear the bass pedal and hi-hat pedals squeak!!!

4. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    i agree with suburban....if they're good horn players at all, they should feel it by vibration or simple "lip familiarity" plus its hard to bend a note sharp or flat on a trumpet at least without knowing that you're doing it. maybe learning to play using earplugs would be helpful...or using those plugs mentioned above this post

5. They all go deaf.

I am the only one in my band who plays with ear plugs. And I am the only one who does not continuously turn up his amp over the course of the night.

Up until last night, I was the only member who doesn't drink during a gig. Sacramento had its first office 100-degree day yesterday (5/30/2002), and it was humid as hell to boot. The whole band was drinking water. Truly amazing.

Keep the ear plugs in... your ears will thank you long after the gig, and you'll still be able to hear when your buds all go deaf.

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    where can i get a set of those earplugs?
    how much are they?

steve

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I think our very own Steve Lawson sells ER-20's on his website. You can also get them directly from www.etymotic.com , the company that makes them.

I got a set of ER-20's a month or so ago and I love them. I wear them whenever I play or listen to others play. They do look a little goofy but the tradeoff between looking "uncool" and being able to hear is more than worth it. Especially after a gig or show when you are as comfortable as can be and your friends/bandmates are going crazy with the ringin in their ears.

8. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Mike Dimin sells them, and if you look around carefully (and perhaps loudly) you'll find some music shop that carries them.
    All at ~$10.

9. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I also recommend the ER-20.

I bought three pairs for my band from Mike Dimin and they all love them!

B.t.w. Great and prompt service from Mike!

10. Canoman

Canoman

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, Texas
    Hmm, might these ear plugs help me actually understand what the guys on stage are saying through the mics when I go to large concerts?

I remember at a Metallica concert and a RHCP concert a couple of summers ago, I had all kinds of problems understanding what they were saying. Needless to say, when I went home after the concert my ears were in bad shape.

Just curious.

11. Mindwolf

Mindwolf

Jan 12, 2001
    I have to go along with the ER-20's. They really are great. Second to last pair I'll buy, because I'm going to get custom next. And yes, they are REALLY great at concerts, because you hear all the music, including the singing.